• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Finally I have a Clave scope to go with my Clave eyepieces

Doc

Looks good Mick, be interesting when we do have a clear sky!! ?

I like the look of it.  You'll be splitting a few doubles with that no doubt.

Thanks guys, I cannot wait for some clear skies, hopefully it works as good as it looks.

You will enjoy that Mick. Its surprising just how much you can see with a good 80mm f15. I still have my Towa and it never fails to impress

I'm interested to know the lens configuration  ?

Is it a cemented doublet ?

I'm guessing at F15 there is a lot more tolerance in its design as CA is no longer an issue ?

It always fascinates me how refractor designers go about their work overcoming the various

'optical challenges'. Theres so many different designs out there.

I found this old CN thread.

You may have seen it. a 130 F15 !

Also in there is the 1985 Clave catalogue.

Interesting stuff.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/456482-clave-refractorbeyond-rare/

If anyone was going to find one, it was you eh Mick! ? 

That's going to be a real planet killer and I am guessing it will really make your double star bagging even better. Nice one mate.

9 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I'm interested to know the lens configuration  ?

Is it a cemented doublet ?

I'm guessing at F15 there is a lot more tolerance in its design as CA is no longer an issue ?

It always fascinates me how refractor designers go about their work overcoming the various

'optical challenges'. Theres so many different designs out there.

I found this old CN thread.

You may have seen it. a 130 F15 !

Also in there is the 1985 Clave catalogue.

Interesting stuff.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/456482-clave-refractorbeyond-rare/

I seen and read that link Rob, in fact I have read every bit of info on the web, which is very little. Some people have compared the lens to be as good as the Zeiss 80/840 lens.

Looks great. I suppose you could put a Rigel finder on it as the Rigel shoe sticks to a surface and you don't have to drill holes into anything. 

yBuKikj.jpg

The focuser looks like a GSO and most of them have tiny grub screws that unthread revealing M4 screw holes for mounting a finder shoe. You only really need one screw but with the four holes it usually gives you a choice to position the shoe.

https://www.365astronomy.com/SkyWatcher-Shoe-for-Finderscope-Bracket-with-4-Holes-BLACK-M4-Screws.html

Edited by Nightspore

You can see one of the grub screws immediately to the right of the finder shoe on my old modified ST80 below.

DzCznP1.jpg

Before I attached the finder shoes I removed the tiny grub screw by slowly unthreading it with a small Allen key. The Allen key didn't fit it exactly but I could at least work it free.

xF92g3M.jpg

The grubs probably prevent dust entering the focuser. They match the M4 screws that are usually included with most finder shoes.

FaXhKTc.jpg

I hope this helps.

Yes it does have M4 grub screws, the finder bracket I have on my 120Ed is to large to fit so I can mill one up on the milling machine I have a dovetail cutter.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yes it does have M4 grub screws, the finder bracket I have on my 120Ed is to large to fit so I can mill one up on the milling machine I have a dovetail cutter.

A milling machine must come in handy. The first time I tried to remove a grub screw from a focuser I turned it the wrong way and it dropped into the focuser mechanism. It was rattling about for ages before I managed to shake it loose lol.

Excellent Mick! I know the joy a ‘new’ piece of kit can bring, looking forward to a first light report! ??