• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Leicestershire

Rob Doyle

Hi everyone 

I am a newbie at astronomy and am just in the process of getting set up. I am looking to join a club but not sure of the difference between this one and the space centre one. Either way I really want to connect with a few people and learn all I can.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob, you're very welcome. Ask any questions you've got and we'll do our best to answer them. (we all started somewhere!!)

Cheers

Ron

Hi Rob welcome to EMS.

I have never heard of the Space centre club, is it an actual astronomy club or is it more aimed at the theory side of space. Our club is forum based but we do often meet at our dark sites either at Wymeswold or Belper.

Hi Rob, from another Rob.

Welcome ??

I'm a bit of a 'all the gear, no idea' type myself, i'm afraid to say.

I enjoy visual, and have a special interest in 2 eyed viewing.

Also have an interest in imaging, but am at the bottom rung on the ladder.

Good luck with your upcoming set up !

Hi Rob, a warm welcome to the group.

As mentioned, we are a forum based group and meet and observe at two dark sites we have, where as Leicester Astronomical Society meet at the Space Centre.

If it's convenient for you to attend their meetings then it gives you even more access to information you may need, they are a good bunch of folks there.

The one bit of advice I would give you is don't believe everything you see regarding the capability of gear you might be looking at purchasing. If there is something that you think might suit your needs, stick a post up here and run it by folks, it might be the bargain of the year but it might be a three legged donkey too. 

LAS Meeting dates.

http://www.leicesterastronomicalsociety.co.uk/next-meeting/

Hi Rob, Welcome aboard. Think Baz just about covered it, and of course you're welcome to come join us at a monthly meet if you want to have a look at some kit before you start spending money. And as always, the forum is open to everyone.

Welcome Rob!

I joined a couple of years ago, and have found the forum fantastic, a great place to get advice, and to meet people at our Dark Sites, and also at the Kelling Heath Astro Camp that we attend as a group in Norfolk

Thank you everyone for the kind messages. I am thinking of going down to LAS as the space centre is only 10 mins drive away. I imagine there are quite a few members there.