• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

70mm Spotter

philjay

Further to my acquiring a wrecked pair of Celestron Skymaster 25x70 bins I got for £2.01, I started to have a look at if the prisms could be used on my ed80 bins, nah too much vignetting because they are relatively small prisms.

Soooo I have one eyepiece, 2 objectives and 2 sets of prisms so here is the 1st scope to be made from the remains a 25x70mm spotter for birding. Its lightweight so can be used on my Mirrorless CSC Benro tripod. Yep it look just like a pair of binos cut in half, because thats what it is ?  but it works well, OK not a Leica or Swarowski but it gives a reasonable image. Ive tweaked it a tad so it focuses down to 25 yards, anything under that I use my Nikon 10x42s.

Now what can I build with teh other 70mm objective? ?

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

How about attaching it to a video camera.

Make a nice Luna scope.

I tested the scope at the reserve the other day  its worth every penny of what I paid. I dont think I would rush out and buy a pair of these bins, but I spose they are budget bins so I cant ecpect too much.

Theres a thought Graham, Ive just resurrected my Mintron video cam after years of non use, that may be a nice little project.