• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello and needing Help

Guest dsmart

Guest dsmart

Hi Folks,

I've just brought a Skyliner 200p as a first scope. Bit of a jump but I recon it's not a bad one to start with and have for a few years. I've only manage so far to take a good look at Saturn (I assume this is the first object most people look at first, a truly beautiful sight too).

I have a couple of questions if any one could answer?

I've been trying to see Mars but for some reason I'm not seeing it. Is it bright at the minute, I'm looking westerly and not seeing it, it's me reading the star map I think.

I would like to put a web cam on the scope. Is there any quick suggestions with out having to spend too much. I'm thinking £30 for webcam and another £20 for a adapter? Am I truly wrong with these thoughts?

Edited by dsmart

Guest Eddy

Hi Dave,

Welcome to EMS :)

If you are looking for Mars, try looking for a almost red looking star, it won't stand out much and is a lot harder to pick up detail compared to Saturn, as for the webcam, £50 is definately possible if you find the right bargain, someone on here recently got one for £30 I believe.

Hi Dave.

Good first starter scope you have there, see my signature for a list of mods you will allmost certainly need to do at some point.

Mars I'm afraid is well past it's best for this year, slowly moving away from us, unless we get a really cracking clear night, with our scopes, I don't think you will see a lot, just a red circle, but you can make detail out, ice caps, etc etc but you will have to wait until next year.

Not a webcam person myself, but I'm sure somebody who is will be along soon.

Welcome to the forum, any questions, just ask away!

Guest dsmart

Hi Guys,

and thanks, As for spotting Mars I see a bright redish looking star but which is westish and quite high but on veiwing it does seem to be a star and is not planet. But tonight I hope to have a good scan for it.

As for Webcams, Every one seems to have the Philips spc900's. I cannot find these in the average store, are they special or do I just go to PCworld and get one from there? Is there something I should be going for? I suppose fitting to a adapter would be a good idea.

Hi Dave and welcome. Have you downloaded everyone's favourite planetarium free software program called Stellarium? It's free from www.stellarium.org and easy to use so finding Mar's shouldn't be a problem! enjoy !!

Ron

You may be observing Arcturus, which is a bright, reddish star, if so, Mars would further West and lower.

Guest dsmart

Thanks Tbird & Ron,

I'll down load stellarium later and I think TBird is right about Arcturus. Hopefully tonight with a beer in the garden between the bats and the owls I'll find it.

Edited by dsmart

Hi Dave, a warm welcome to EMS.

Even when mars was good, it wasn't all that good, and took some patience and a really good night to see any detail.

Saturn never disappoints, and when Jupiter comes round again, (morning object) it's another favourite.

As Ron mentioned, have a look at Stellarium. Set up the time, date and your coordinates (f you haven't got them, find your observing spot on Google Earth and use them).

It will show you whats about, and on the left hand side there is a tool bar when you move the cursor over it. Or just press F3, this will bring up a search box, type in what you want to find, and if it's about it will go to it.

Any other questions just ask, and someone will be along to help. Enjoy the forum.

Hi Dave and welcome to EMS :)

The SPC900's are a discontinued model - folks go for an SPC880 which is still available, and flash the firmware to make it recognisable as a 900. They both have the same chip, so to all intents and purposes it's the same camera once flashed.

The popular supplier for these is Morgans website - but the supply varies a lot and the price has increased hugely in recent months.They can be found second hand for between £30 and £90 depending on the degree of modification and wether it was done "at home" or professionally.

Check out Astronomiser website - webcams section - for details of all the possible mods - they sometimes carry a small stock also :)

Welcome along to EMS-great scope you have there, I am biased though :)

I managed to get the SPC900 webcam with 1.25inch adaptor and IR filter off eBay for £60 you can get them for cheaper.Just a question of watching and waiting and hoping not too many people want them.

If you look for the constellation of Leo mars is just beneath it at present. Hasn't looked great recently. Saturn is what I have been looking at mostly too. I have been attempting to look at messier objects in the "realm of galaxies" near the constellation of Virgo but not having much luck!

Great to have you on board. There's some really experienced folks on here and really friendly and helpful too. Friendliest and most sociable forum I have ever used.

Felix

Hi Dave,

and welcome to EMS from another Dave in Melton.

I got the philips SPC 880 for £30 off astro buy sell this week. It had been flashed to a 900 but had never been used so in absolutely mint condition. It took me a while to get one at that price because as the guys have already mentioned they are a bit of a rarity and have become expensive ranging from 45-£90. It then cost me another £10 for a nose piece from FLO. Mars is definately there atm and as already mentioned it's the size of a reasonably bright star but with a distinct orangy tinge.

Dave

You should find Mars above and to the right of Saturn. Mars is past its best now, its smallier and not as bright as it was during the winter so detail is a little trickier to pick out, but it is still there to be found on a night of good seeing (like one night last week) easier in a refractor than a dob, a case of horses for courses. Check out M57, M13, M11, all good dob targets at this time of year....enjoy

I've spotted an SPC880 flashed to 900 on Ebay.....if you haven't already got one.... there's only one day left so get in quick! You will need to buy the nosepiece but at this price....I'd say try it.............HERE at the mo it's £5.50....with £5.50 postage :o but that's still cheaper than the £40 one!

Guest dsmart

Hello all and thank you that replied offering suggestions.

I've now got stellarium and realised I was on Mars after all, it's just out of my optics at the minute to see any detail. I may be forced "twisted arm" to buy another eye piece.

Thank-you to todd8137 for your kind offer but I think I may have some thing in the pipe line fingers crossed.

Again thanks and lets hope for some clear skys!