• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

These late nights are killing me. M51 from last night.

Graham

Good morning all.

Well I think it is, For the 5th night in a row I have been trying to improve my DSO photos.

Last night it was back to M51.

24 - 5 minuet subs at ISO 800.

Darks and flats added in DSS.

I have just downloaded Iris thanks to Ibbo's link so I will have a go at improving the quality a bit later.

thanks

Graham

Edited by Astrotec Limited

Deffinately getting there now. I'd be very happy with the progress myself if that was me. Very nice. Not sure, but it looks like possibly the blacks have been clipped a bit in processing?

Thanks folks.

Pat - Its got to be done - I am trying to make the most of the good weather.

Mike - You are probably right, If I had any sort of idea of what I am doing it would help. lol

What software are you tweeking in? When playing with the histogram I leave the lower end as is, I just move the top down to the end of the histogram, so the blacks stay black but the whites become white if that makes sense? If you move the lower it tends to lose some of the black. Also with curve adjustments make sure the line isn't too flat at the lower end, that clips the black off too.

I'm certainly no expert, in fact prob done less than yourself. Have a good look around on youtube, there are loads of tutorials that I found helped loads. I'm rubbish reading stuff, I lose interest too easily, but give me a video to watch and I take it all in lol

Mike I don't have any software at all. I just do the best I can inside DSS.

I have just downloaded 'Iris' so I will have a go with that.

As far as knowing what I am doing, I dont, I just keep playing with it untill it looks ok.

The problem seems to lie when it is converted into the 'Tif' and then I try to reduce the size to upload onto here.

I am trying to go from a 40 to 50 kb photo down to a 2 kb photo.

The end result is what you and I see on here and its awful, All grainy and horrible.

When I am looking at the full sized image in DSS it looks great.

Any tips suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

save a copy as JPEG, as far as I recall they are a smaller file to begin with. Then you could resize with paint as I assume you will have that, most computers come with that as standard I think? As for processing in DSS, I can't remember how much you can do with it as I don't bother much with it now, I use Photoshop for all of that now. There are some tutorials on processing with DSS on youtube though, I know I watched them a while ago.

Thanks for the advice folks.

I rearly need to do some reading up on this.

That looks a good un Graham. I know what you mean about the late nights, thats this time of year though, worth it though :)