• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Tal 125R

Guest Mr. Hard Glass

Guest Mr. Hard Glass

Hi Folks,

You might have heard elsewhere, but I acquired a Tal 125R a while back, complete with wooden case, tube rings and a 6 x 30 finder.

I have fallen head over heels in love with this nifty telescope. Very good Russian optics and extremely portable. It has become my workhorse of late.

I'll post a few pics when I get a chance. Meanwhile feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil you are a very lucky man, I have one of the original purple glass TAL100r and TAL optics are fantastic.

I remember seeing that one in a wooden box up for sale somewhere. Couldn't go to a more worthy owner - looking forward to the pics :)

Guest Mr. Hard Glass

This is a pic of Charles, a student of mine and my eldest son, Oscar. Charles brought along his newly acquired Tal 100RS and I set up my 125R next to it to complete the picture.

Guest Mr. Hard Glass

And finally; I tried mounting it on my old TV Gibraltar ash wood mount and it worked OK but one of the legs on that trpod is a bit dodgy so I have decided to use it on the Sky Tee Altaz for the moment.

I much prefer the look of wood.

Maybe Santa will be good to me and bring me a Berlebach!

I did a CN review on my experiences with this telescope. I thought those yanks would mock and jeer what I had to say, but surprisingly, nobody got nasty (phew!).

Here's a linky:

/>http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2765

Cheers,

Neil. :)

Edited by Mr. Hard Glass

Fabulous review Neil - you've got amazing style - not read anything like that for years. The scopes look great together too and the review makes me drool after one :)

Guest Mr. Hard Glass

Thanks very much Kim.

I consider myself very lucky.

Telescopes can be quite transformational, especially when you encounter the one that's 'right' for you.

Cheers,

Nice one Neil, very nice scope indeed, I have a thing for TAL scopes I owned a 100RS till very recently (its a long story)

Nice looking scope and a great review Neil, I must admit to finding globulars fascinating through refractors as well, my Meade 5" does M13 justice as well.

Also thanks for the links to the double star site, this is one I have missed I shall have a closer look

Guest Mr. Hard Glass

Thanks Carl & Pat.

Phil; I can't wait until the darker skies of August return, when I can roam the depths of the Summer Milky Way with the 125R and a nice wide angle eyepiece.

Nothing but rain and midgees at the moment. :(

As for double stars; John Nanson & Greg Stone are great guys.

http://bestdoubles.wordpress.com/

Both double star enthusiasts, they have a friendly writing style that is accessible to most everyone.

I'll hopefully be setting up my own website soon, with lots of goodies and links to my favourite sites on the web.

Regards,

Guest Double Star Demon

Thanks for the kind words Neil!

For those who didn't know already, Mr. Hard Glass is a pretty darn decent guy himself.

John :ph34r:

Edited by Double Star Demon

Hi John, a warm welcome to EMS.

I agree, he is a decent chap, and helpful in his advice and reviews.

There are a good few of us who follow Neil's adventures, both in his contributions to Astronomical magazines and his other published works.

Long may it continue.

Make yourself at home and enjoy the forum.

Guest Mr. Hard Glass

Hiya John,

Good of you to chime in all the way from Northern Oregon. Thanks for the kind words guys. :) I do my Sunday best to make my articles as interesting as possible.

I'm away out to California next Friday for a week of dark sky observing in the White Mountains of SoCal. We'll be based at an altitude of 8,000 feet. Needless to say I'm very excited about the trip and I fully intend to make the very most of it. All the gear will be kindly provided for me by a penpal of mine, Jim Barnett,whose clubmates are arranging a group trip there. I'll be able to explore some double stars in Sagittarius and Scorpius using scopes ranging in size from a humble 60mm classic achro to large Dobsonians.

I don't know if John & Greg have done a write up on Antares? That'll be a cracking target for a small scope.

I'll be sure to spin a few yarns about the trip and post a few pics of the skyscape as soon as get back.

With best wishes,

Looking forward to the pictures and write up, have a good trip, you lucky so and so! :)

Guest Double Star Demon

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's much appreciated.

Neil, we've never written up Antares -- if you pry it apart, I'll reserve space for you. Should be plenty high in the sky from 8000 feet up. I understand the companion is frequently seen as green, so I'll be interested to see what your experience is.

Still haven't figured out how green sneaks into star colors -- must be a result of badly confused photons.

John