• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Double scope mounting

RonC

Problem with the AF1 focuser catching the 150 PDS?

Comments please?

large.IMG_4732.JPG.55bfaa702efe4ab665cd6684b96d1233.JPGlarge.IMG_4734.JPG.d79da87124dc6708976b4c5edfbe3d53.JPG

Edited by Ron Clarke

Don't understand what you mean Ron.

How is the focuser catching the 150 there is loads of room in your photo.

You might need a riser block in between the two sets of tube rings to give the extra clearance.

spin the ed80 180 º and have the focus wheel and motor on top.

btw unlike Graham I prefer the side by side set up

You may find with the stock rings there will be flex with the small contact area.

OK, I'll try that Steve. graham I meant the focuser motor (AF1) on the ED80.

Andy seems tight but I'll give it a run and check.

Thanks all

Ron

9 hours ago, Ibbo said:

spin the ed80 180 º and have the focus wheel and motor on top.

btw unlike Graham I prefer the side by side set up

You may find with the stock rings there will be flex with the small contact area.

Yup, just turn the eddie round a bit

Trouble with rotating the scope is I lose 2 attachment shoes?

Might see if I can use the focus motor on the 150PDS??

Ron

What’s wrong with the AF1 being on an angle does it matter 

Think I've worked out with the AF1 on top and added a shoe at the top end of the ED80.

large.IMG_4748scope.jpg.d79978f22f5ee56fd9d36a2c33e1aa67.jpg

Ron

Edited by Ron Clarke
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

how do you rate the af1? i'm in the market for a auto focuser and torn between the price of the AF1 and the more compact ZWO offering for a few quid more. 

2 hours ago, anthonyexmouth said:

how do you rate the af1? i'm in the market for a auto focuser and torn between the price of the AF1 and the more compact ZWO offering for a few quid more. 

AF1 measures 50x50x45  I also use AF2 on my 200pds, work superb I use via APT though I know Pavel uses via sgp , wouldn’t be without,  also  indi and indigosky  compatible, haven’t come across any problems, any queries then a quick email to Pavel and he will respond back swiftly .

zwo focuser measures 59x52x41 so about same dimensions . 

AF2 is about same spec as zwo in that you can have a hand controller and temp sensor and also WiFi can be used via web browser, so a bit more flexible depending how you wish to control 

Edited by Bottletopburly

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

AF1 measures 50x50x45  I also use AF2 on my 200pds, work superb I use via APT though I know Pavel uses via sgp , wouldn’t be without,  also  indi and indigosky  compatible, haven’t come across any problems, any queries then a quick email to Pavel and he will respond back swiftly .

zwo focuser measures 59x52x41 so about same dimensions . 

AF2 is about same spec as zwo in that you can have a hand controller and temp sensor and also WiFi can be used via web browser, so a bit more flexible depending how you wish to control 

would be using APT so no need for wifi, was thinking the ZWO is more compact because it doesnt use the belt. wondering if thats worth the extra ££

That’s down to personal choice you could do that with AF1 but you would need to make a bracket then it would be sticking out , just personal preference really .