• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

2 oldies

philjay

Some may know that as well as my 4" F15 project I have had a 1910 antique Broadhurst Clarkson 3" Starboy for a couple of years which Ive been playing with as a project to get a mount for it that will do it justice.

I have a brass antique altaz mount of the same vintage with another scope which looks beutiful but is as wobbly as jelly so I decided to pimp up a smaller modern mount, the eq3 with brass bits and a mahogany tripod. Finally got the tripod sorted and had aplay last night with the 3" and my other project the 4" F15 Fullerscopes/Cooke scope. Spent a happy couple of hours on lunar and Saturn with a few doubles thrown in.

Here they are on the back lawn, got some funny looks from the neighbours as they drew the curtains, they arent used to me setting scopes up outside the observatory, they used to only think I was eccentric, now they know.

I shall bring the 3" along to a darksite meet sometime, Im sure you will be surprised at just what a good view an antique scope can give

Edited by philjay

They look fantastic Phil, love the mix of old and new.

Would love to have a look through one, so only hope I can make the next darksite meet.

Lovely scope mate, retirement working well for you then!

Superb job Phil, they look great.

That tripod has got to be sturdier than the original, and it does look good.

Very nice Phil.

They are both very pleasing to look at. The full brass look of the 3" with the long brass finder is lovely.

The eq3 is very tastefully done.

Lovely scope mate, retirement working well for you then!

Not that well mate, Ive been at work for 2 days this week consulting, its been a real shock to my system :)

I hope they made it worth your while, and it sort of proves the point that your contribution is missed.

Oh yes Martyn I made sure I sorted the rates out before hand, very lucrative from my point of view. Also Im not doing more than 2 days a month despite their wanting more. Some of the pot after taxman and household stuff is being donated to my posh eyepiece fund ;) Another Vixen LVW is on its way as I type :)