• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Goldcrest

BAZ

Just sitting in the back yard, first brew in hand, and this tiny bird lands six feet from me in a conifer tree we have, it's a Gold crest, I thought my eyes were playing up, it is tiny. It stayed around for about five minutes, with a bit of luck, it might be scouting out a nest site.

Fantastic little thing.

I have just seen my neighbour, and they have been watching it as well, turns out it's been around for a few days, I'll have to get my camera handy.

make it a brew Baz, that should keepit around for a bit :)

If I can get a piccy it would be something, damn thing doesn't sit still much, even for a brew. :D

I'm sure they are our smallest bird, smaller then a wren. I've seen a few, if you ever see one with a red stripe on it's head, thats a Firecrest.

Defo a Goldcrest, if it got any closer it would have been sitting with me. I think you are right about it being the smallest bird, head to tail no longer than my thumb.

I didn't get back until late tonight, so no sitting out with a brew.

I don't want to be late tomorrow though, yet another Friday has raced round again.