• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cheap no frills mount

Rock Doctor

Can anyone recommend a cheap no frills mount that I could use with the WO 72mm Megrez recently purchased so that I have a usable grab 'n' go scope.

Guest Kheldar

Skywatcher AZ-4 awesome simple mount very sturdy. Cheap too I think about £120. Will check though.

+1

Thanks Felix/Stephen.

will it attach directly or will I have to purchase an adapter?

Guest Kheldar

Thanks Felix/Stephen.

will it attach directly or will I have to purchase an adapter?

Whilst you can put the WO shoe directly into a Vixen saddle, I would not recommend it.

You need a medium size dovetail, which you can screw onto the Meg shoe, then attach the dovetail to the mount.

I mount the Meg72 on AZ4 with a dovetail and CnC rings. You have to fine tune the balance - and alt tension has to be just right in order to accommodate the weight. I've also used the AZ4 with the Lunt, which is a spot heavier, by just screwing it onto the "L" bracket using the camera screw. Still feels quite firm but you get no choice where to put the balance point. So when I put the DS filter on I use st80 rings and a dovetail. Otherwise - the AZ4 is great grab and go - no frills - and very versatile (ie it takes cameras too) :)

Skywatcher AZ-4 awesome simple mount very sturdy. Cheap too I think about £120. Will check though.

Yeah I was nearly right-cheapest I can find is at address below £139.95

http://www.f1telesco...?id=1637&level=

God yeah

Yeah I was nearly right-cheapest I can find is at address below £139.95

http://www.f1telesco...?id=1637&level=

Guest Kheldar

I wouldn't get the nasty tripod version, I'd spend a bit more (£180) and get the steel leg tripod version

Edited by Kheldar