• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Great Astronomy Quotes

Guest Altair

Guest Altair

In awe I watched the waxing moon ride across the zenith of the heavens like an ambered chariot towards the ebony void of infinite space wherein the tethered belts of Jupiter and Mars hang forever festooned in their orbital majesty. And as I looked at all this I thought ...... I must put a roof on this lavatory.

(Just love this quote by Les Dawson :))

anyone got more quotes?

One of my faves:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time ......to die...."

CK **** - Bladerunner

Hmmm.... didn't know the shortened form of the name "Richard" was in the profanities filter lol.

"Do you think that big bright thing is going to hit the planet" Quote from one of the last dinosours

Guest Altair

Cool loved that film (and the book)! Here's another:

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators." - Michio Kaku.

I was kind of hoping for omnivores at least myself :blink:

"Are you sure you want to go to red alert, Mr Rimmer, it will mean changing the bulb"

• 2 weeks later...

"and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on earth" ~ Monty Python

"and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on earth" ~ Monty Python

Think the whole song is awesome (and factually correct).

• 3 weeks later...

Astronomy? Impossible to understand and madness to investigate Sophocles c 420BC

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.

Well that's my contribution!

Sheila