• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Best webcam imaging software?

Guest wisewoman

Guest wisewoman

Hello,

I've got Skyliner 200p and a Quickcam Pro 4000 webcam and a laptop. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to webcam pics so which is the best software to get for processing the images?

Are the free ones on here any good or is it worth buying the ones that cost money?

http://webcamastrono...m/software.html

Thanks,

Melissa

Edited by wisewoman

i use wx astrocapture which is free and easy to use also sharpcap is another good one, also free, you can as i did download both and try each one out to see which you prefer. as for processing the video, i use registax, another free bit of software, it`s alittle complicated for me when it gets to the wavelet part, but i don`t tinker with the settings too much and just let it do it`s own thing.

there is alot of information on the net about registax.

it certainlt isn`t worth buying software for webcam use, these programs do a great job.

don`t forget when using your webcam, focus is the main thing that needs to be 100% bang on.

Edited by red dwalf

two good choices there, free and work very well, you can also download a program called "GIMP" another free very usefull image processing program which can help inhance the image after you have used registax.

If you have a look on Astronomy Shed there is a Sharpcap dedicated forum.

As Red says ^^^^. I wouldn't 'pay' for software as there is so much excellent 'free' stuff online.

I'm with Celeste on Sharpcap and registax, then Red with a little Gimping afterwards.

Guest wisewoman

Hi there,

I foudn the Astronomy Shed forum and sharpcap tutorial (thanks). I've now been setting it up following those instructions. However when i get to compression type it is not offering me YUY2. Its just offering me IYUV, RGB24 and I420. Can I use one of these instead or do i need to install the YUY2 codecs? Or is it something else?

I'm using a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000.

Thanks

Melissa

Guest wisewoman

Just to add I found out the answer - The QCP doesnt show YUY2 and you use I420 setting instead :)

Hi there,

I foudn the Astronomy Shed forum and sharpcap tutorial (thanks). I've now been setting it up following those instructions. However when i get to compression type it is not offering me YUY2. Its just offering me IYUV, RGB24 and I420. Can I use one of these instead or do i need to install the YUY2 codecs? Or is it something else?

I'm using a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000.

Thanks

Melissa

Edited by wisewoman