• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Possible Dark Site

Perkil8r

Just to bring this out of the shout box as it's taking over....

I spend a lot of my weekend time out in the middle of nowhere at race meetings up and down the country. One such place is near Buxton in Derbyshire. I've spotted a possible location for a dark site, and today popped over to look at it after the racing had finished. Co-ords are: 53.213682, -1.911844

As far as I can tell the piece of ground is common land, although I think this would need to be checked first. During the day time the road is very quite, sub 1 car an hour. The land is used by model aircraft, although on google maps arial view it shows para gliders setting up. Over the past few years I have only seen para gliders up there once.

If you look on Google street view, you will see it has fantastic horizons almost 360 degrees. The nearest built up area is Buxton around 3 miles away, and is sheltered by hills. Manchester is around 25 or so miles as the crow flies, Derby nearer 30 miles. The roads that lead up to it are very quiet but are quite bumpy so care would be needed, especially if transporting newts etc.

If this site appeals to enough to make it worth finding out, I will try and find out if it is common land or not, if not then who owns it and so on etc. There are no facilities, but there are bushes and rocks..... It will be VERY dark though.

Just throwing it out there for people to comment etc.....

Thanks for the effort Mike.

I think a truly dark site is a rare thing now days, so every one found is of interest.

I think the problem with any dark site is travel time and access for more than a handful of folks, but that said, a spectacular clear sky is worth the drive.

Guest Fluke

Good work Mike.

I'd be happy to come over with you one night when the forecast is good to give it a go.

Nice one Mike, sure looks like it could be dark. Is there an reasonable flat grass area of more preferably hard standing as the terrain looks very lumpy in the photo.

The field is pretty firm and is quite flat, just a slight gradient. It's no bowling green, but quite possible I would say.

Just checked with the land regestry and there is no record found for that piece of land. There is however records of 2 pieces of land within a 25m radius, which I presume will be behind the fence on the opposite side of the track/road, and also beyond the cattle grid just past the land. To all intents and purposes it looks like it should be a goer.

As far as I understand it yes, it is common land. Since the other land surrounding it is registered, if it belonged to a private individual or buisness (including farms) it would show as having a registration. I used to know somebody who worked for the land registry, unfortunately I no longer have contact with them.... otherwise I would ask them.

The only sticking point is that not all land is registered. 1990 was when it became the law that all land had to be registered, before that date it was volountary. Since there are no obvious signs of ownership, no fences etc, I think there is a fair chance it is not owned. Not sure how to find out for sure though.

From a Paragliding website I have found the following: http://www.paraglidi....php?site=11386 so it might be owned land afterall. The club's website doesn't appear to work, so this might get complicated..... Any suggestions on how to find out appreciated. I'm thinking of contacting the local council.

Also just found a link to the model aircraft club: http://www.highpeakmac.org.uk/ why do these people not want outsiders to contact them, you would have thought they would be happy to gain new members.....

Edited by Perkil8r

Nice one Steve, for some reason it now seems to work for me too..... I.T. I hate it sometimes lol. I'll drop them an email, see if they have any information that might help. It's not like we would interfere with their use of the site since we need it in the dark.

I've sent an email off to the secretary asking if they know of the land owner if there is one etc.

Hi Mike,

Just wondered if you had any reply or any updates regarding this site.

Your investigations and perseverance on this are appreciated.

Cheers.

Just realised it was only a couple of days ago when you last posted, so I'm just being a bit too eager, sorry.

Edited by petersull

I'm out at work at the minute, but have had a reply this morning with maps and ownership details. Turns out that the fields either side are actually the ones they use. Both are owned by different farms. I make out from the map that neither farm own the field in question. This is sort of backed up by the land registry search which showed no result for it but did for fields surrounding it.

I will try contacting both farms next to see if either know for sure, failing that I will get in touch with the council to double check. Certainly a step forward though. The two farms charge £1 each per visit, so even if they do own it I don't see it being expensive to gain access.

Having looked at the maps again, and on google street view for the route to the field, I am 99% certain it is actually common land, but I will contact both farms to check. I will send an identical letter or email to them both. That way if they both claim ownership I know it can't be true, if they both claim the same person owns it I can be fairly sure it's true, as too if they both say it's common land. Failing that, as I said previously I can resort to asking the council, they should know.

The road is certainly a public highway, and there are no obvious boundaries to that piece of land, where as there are on all other bits of land along that road. Another patch nearer the stadium IS common land, and is similar in the way it has no fence where the rest has etc. It's a bit hard to explain unless you've been up there, but it becomes obvious if you see it if that makes sense. But still, I will try and get confirmation one way or another. One thing for sure is that there are no lights in direct line of sight, and the nearest street light is approx 4 miles away. It will be very dark I am sure.

Who want to voulenteer to take a porta potty up there then? lol

Just a quick question for if I can get in contact with the farmers and they DO own the land......

Would it be better to pay per visit per person, or should I approach the situation with an annual fee in mind do you think? I'm still hopeful that it is common land, hence no fees applicable, but just trying to get a feel for what would be the best way to tackle it. Going to try and get in touch with both farmers either tomorrow or thursday. Will try ringing them first, if no joy will post a letter to them as no email addresses are available for either of them.

Let me know your thoughts.... so far it seems quite positive though. :) except the clouds of course!

I think, try before you buy. Pay for a one off visit at night and see what it is really like. Some, as yet unknown, factor might render it unsuitable for our purpose.

Looking at the number of responses to this thread, I would be concerned that attendance at this remote site could be more limited and less frequent than Belper CC. I think this site could be very dark and is an exciting prospect if people are willing to make the effort. Not sure I'd like to be out there on my own after midnight though :)

I think it is the location that may be putting people off. If you look at the member map, it is a big drive for quite a lot of people. I can get to either Sawley or Belper in 30 minutes, to get to this dark site will take me over an hour! I will be willing to give it a go though.

Guest Ryall

Id be willing to make the journey on especially clear nights / events or nights when people are organising to meet in a group.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

just wondered you had any definitive answers on the ownership of this land yet.

Cheers.

It's a pity we can't find a site in the Newark area, even for an annual get together of Derby/Belper/Mansfield areas and Lincolnshire members??