• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Threads inside ST80 Focuser, what are they?

Perkil8r

As title really. In the end of the standard R&P focuser on the ST80 there are some threads. I've not measured them as I don't have any thread gauges and can't find my "very near caliper" :D but I'm guessing at approx 34mm. Any ideas what they are intended for, or if it's possible to get a filter that would screw in? I know you can get 34mm filters, is this even remotely plausable? If not, what are they there for? It makes no sense to spend money using a threaded tube if there is no reason for it, so I doubt they are not intended.

Guest Kheldar

Slightly confused here can you post a pic?

The black bit screws onto the end of the draw tube, and any T2 extension screws onto the black bit.

Yes Stephen, but inside that black bit is a screw thread approx 34mm dia..... waiting for battery to charge then will post a pic.

Guest Kheldar

Never saw that thread, it's not a standard as far as I'm aware as normally the EP or diagonal will go into there ... #intrigued :)

Could they be machining marks rather than a real thread?

Definately threads. Too clean and definately pitched, not individual rings. It's a little coarser than T thread and obviously smaller too. It goes all the way through.

got fed up with the 300D so took them with my phone lol

Edited by Perkil8r

If it is 34mm filter thread, I could unscrew it off the main focus tube and screw a filter on the inner end I think. The thread certainly looks like it's been machined for a purpose rather than just left over from a machining process.

The inner 'thread' isn't actually anything except a light baffle to cut down reflections. However, if it is a handy size then you might be able to actually make use of it.

The outer thread is T2.

I'll have to try and get hold of some measuring equipment and get some identification. If it is 34mm filter thread that would be a bonus.

Measured it and it is 34mm x 1.25mm pitch. 34mm filters are 0.75mm pitch so will not work :( Was worth a look though, still begs the question of what they are there for though..........

That's a disapointment really, it would have been just as easy to make it 34mm x 0.75, still had the same effect but also then taken 34mm filters.

• 3 weeks later...