• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Piers vs Tripod vs Better Mount.

Perkil8r

Whilst working on the epic that is a shed base ready for a warm room, I am faced with a small dilema. Simple question I guess but complicated choices. Is putting an EQ5 on a pier a substitute for a better mount?

What I mean is, if I put an EQ5 on a pier, will it improve it or make no difference? Will it mean it will take a bit more weight than if it were on a Tripod? Would an HEQ5 be better on a tripod than and EQ5 on a pier? I think you see where I am going now.

I'm going to have a removable pier, and trying to decide if I should have it made specific for an EQ5 head, or to have interchangable parts to accomodate EQ5, then at a later date HEQ5 or EQ6. If being on a pier will improve the EQ5 enough, maybe I won't need to upgrade the EQ5 for some time? For the time being it would be for using the 200p and the st80, but one day maybe I might want to guide with the st80 on the 200p..... It's all about trying to make the best pier that I can, that will last a while, rather than having to have another built at a later date if you follow?

Appologies for a rather disjointed and rambling thread, but not sure quite what I want or need lol

Hi Mike (again!)

The pier fitting for an EQ5 is the same as a HEQ5. My EQ5 is fine on a pier with 200PDS and my Starwave 80ED, however I intend to upgrade to a HEQ5 eventually as it's a better mount internally. But for now I'm content ! (Makes a change for me!!)

Cheers

Ron

Thanks Ron, that answers that question nicely. I'll get a pier done for the EQ5 then, and if in the future I decide to upgrade I will do so to the HEQ5, that should be adequate for my needs for quite some time I imagine.

That said, I am guessing it would be a simple case of changing the pier head at a later date should the need arise to switch from EQ5/HEQ5 to EQ6?

Hi there.

All EQ5's have the same mounting the EQ6 is totally different.

That's as I thought. I will (eventually) build the pier to accept the EQ/HEQ5 that should last me a while as there's a lot left to get from the EQ5 before I get to the limits of it, then I will move up to the HEQ5 I think.

Having seen Pat's pier today, and feeling some of the weight of it, I am begining to think it might be too heavy as a removable solution. I am trying to think of a way to do it so it splits, I have a few ideas, but that's back to the other topic I think.

How about a hinge at the bottom so after use, unbolt one side, drop it down through a 'door' in the decking so that it's underneath??

That is one idea that I have considered, my only worry with that is the fact it would then mean pulling it back up from below the level of the deck, which wouldn't be good on my back or my knees. I've not ruled it out yet though.

Could be easier on your back than lifting the whole thing out and carrying it away, and fewer bolts to undo.

Nah, they built that on Blue Peter with sticky backed plastic and cardboard. LOL.

Mike at the risk of sounding like an advertisment what about one of these.

Fraction of the weight, four bolt fixing and just look what you can put on top of it.

Graham

Hi Mike

No idea it was a one off I made for a customer.

I would estimate it to be around 15 kilos.

15kgs ? Looks heavier than that lol. That would be no bother at all. I would say for comfort I need something 25kgs or less. Certainly something to think about. How much would something like the one pictured come in at? Round figures, not to the penny.

Mike its an adaptation of one of my mobile piers.

The center tube is 100mm in diameter.

I knock them out at £155.00 on Ebay but I'll do you a good deal as your are a fellow member.

Thanks

Graham

Seems reasonable indeed. I need to do a lot more work yet before I'm ready, but will be interested since the work involved is at my limits and would take me twice as long at least. Might work a treat, especially with a couple of handles either side to help lift it.