• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astronomy webcasts

Guest Steve

I like these. You can subscribe for free and they appear in your email every couple of days when some astronomy or science news happens. You just click the link in the email and it takes you straight to the web page.

/>http://spaceweather.com/

/>http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/11jun_landingsite/

Guest Fluke

Im a big fan of Jodrell Banks/Manchester University's twice monthly Jodcast. Well worth a listen.

I even got a mention in the May extra edition lol

Really enjoying http://www.astronomycast.com/ - real astronomers talking about all sorts of things in a non-dumbed-down way.

Anyone got any others?

Yeah love that one, love how Dr Pamela Gaye explains stuff, just a shame the "weekly" podcast is not so much "weekly"......

Guest Steve

There is a massive archive though - I've just started downloading them as MP3s and playing them in the car when I can concentrate. Just listening to their 3 part talks on astro photography - quite basic but that is what I need at the moment!

The archive is no good when you have been listening to them for years, I have listened to the lot and am currently waiting for new material. Never tire of the two of them though.

Guest Steve

Ah, but for a newbie it presents a whole new challenge - shall I cherry pick or start to go through them by date, or maybe all the Planetary ones first... decisions, decision!

Guest Fluke

More science/comedy than Astronomy, Prof Brian Cox's Infinite Monkey Cage back catalogue of Radio 4 shows is available as podcasts on iTunes for free.

The new run of shows also starts tomorrow (Mon) at 4:30pm on R4 if anyone is interested.

Guest Steve

Im a big fan of Jodrell Banks/Manchester University's twice monthly Jodcast. Well worth a listen.

Listening to this now. It is so nice to listen to stuff that isn't 'popularised (=dumbed down). I find so much of the BBC type output to be really frustrating - everything pitched at the lowest common denominator and why does there always have to be a comedian!?