• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Neutral density filters?

Guest heathenwoods

Guest heathenwoods

Apologies for the stream of questions but what advantage do neutral density filters have over standard 'moon filters' (are they even comparable or is it a case of apples and oranges?)? Also what grade of n.d. filter tends to be the most useful and why?

Neutral density filters are usually more expensive than normal moon filters. Normal moon filters usually impart a colour to the moon while reducing glare. Some people, including me, don't like to see an unnaturally tinted moon. Neutral density filters reduce the brightness of all colours equally so don't show any change of colour. You would ideally need a different grade of ND filter depending on the phase/brightness of the moon at the time, but I'm sure any grade would improve the view. They can also be helpful on bright planets and close double stars.

I have never actually tried a ND filter, but used to like variable polarising filters which are a similar price. With these you can simply 'dial in' just the amount of brightness reduction you need at the time, from about 40% to 90%.

I'm sure someone else will have tried neutral density filters on the moon, and think they're the best thing since sliced bread.