• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi all from Ilkeston/Shipley :)

Guest Euphony

Guest Euphony

Well, as the title suggests, hello!

I'm looking forward to browsing this forum and learning a lot. I've only recently got into Astronomy properly (although have always been fascinated with the night sky since childhood), and I've enjoyed every moment so far that the weather has allowed me to enjoy :P

I'm looking forward also to visiting one of the dark sites at some point too, as I'd love to get the best out of my telescope that i can :)

All the best,

Chris

Hi Chris, a warm welcome to EMS.

Regarding visits to a dark site, keep an eye on the announcements section as it can be posted a few hours before anyone goes This is dependent on the weather.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Enjoy the forum.

Guest Euphony

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :)

Welcome along. What scope do you have?

I have a Celestron CPC1100 and I'm dying to get more use out of it!

I'll look out for the announcements about the dark sites. The only question I can think of at the moment is what times do you generally get to and leave the dark sites? Really long late sessions don't always agree with my 5:45am starts! :D

Welcome, I'm just around the corner at Awsworth. :)

Cool, I know Awsworth well as I have a friend who lives there :)

We typically get to the dark sites for a meeting just before dark while there's just enough light to set up. When it finishes really depends on personal comittments (like work start times etc). In winter we tend to meet mostly Fri/Sat nights any time between 7pm and 9pm and it can go on as long as 2am or 3am. Time flies when you're enjoying yourself lol.

Summer time it doesn't really get dark so the meetings drop off for a few months - though the sites are available all year for anyone who wants to go in the week. First meeting for a new member is free - if you enjoy yourself and want to come regularly you'll be invited to join the "Dark Site Group" for an annual subscription (currently £20) which pays the hire fees for both sites.

Look forward to seeing you at the next meeting - meantime enjoy the forum :)

Guest Euphony

Fantastic, thanks for the info :)

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the meet ups :)

I'm on holiday in Spain for 2 weeks from tomorrow morning so you can all expect clear skies galore! :lol:

Many thanks again,

Chris