• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My obsy build 2011

RonC

Just a few photo's of my small, roll-off obsy build last Autumn.

Very nice Ron.

Looks like you are nicely sheltered from any winds on 3 sides.

I see you've made a tube rotator to keep the ep and finder in a convenient position. Seen the roller bearing ones advertised for about £250!

Is the thing in the corner at the bottom an air freshener or an automatic laser for targetting and killing rodents that might enter through the pier hole? :)

It's an impressive and neat, convenient set up.

It's soaks up any damp air, just stick it in the microwave every now and then to dry it out!! Rotator is a very large 'jubilee' clip mounted on plastic strip, works quite well! :)

(Humidifier was the word I was looking for!!)

Edited by Ron Clarke

Looks great Ron, If I ever get around to mine, that's what it will look like also

Or even de-humidifier. I used to buy 500 gram bags of crystals to empty into a plastic tupperware type box with a perforated lid. After several weeks in wintertime the box was full of slimy slush which you had to carefully chuck in the bin, then wash out the box, and replace the crystals. Your system is much cleaner and simpler.

Unless you're a professional contortionist, I think every eq newt should have a rotating tube.

Neat solution. I'm still at the thinking about it stage. Hope to have thunk before the Autumn :)

I'm using a modified third ring for my rotator I'd be interested to know how smooth yours rotates

Its not bad Tom, I put some Vasaline on the edge near the tube ring and it works well enough!

Nice job Ron. Looks like" it does exactly what it says on the tin". Very neat job. Enough room for ELAC?? ;)

Looks good Ron, its nice to have he kit set up and acclimatised ready for making the most of those rare clear skies