• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I wondered lonely as a cloud

Rock Doctor

Well that lonely cloud has developed into a crowd and they've been camped above my house for the last few weeks :angry:

Guest Steve

Isn't it all down to that pesky Jet Stream? Tool low?

In which case we have the weather belonging to the Shetland Islands. So they have the weather belonging to Iceland. I wonder who's weather they have got?

Guest Tweedledum

Yup,,

All down to the jetstream, normally it is north of Scotland this time of year allowing High pressure to develop and move north . However it is running south of the uk, this blocks all the lovely High pressure systems and drags in the Atlantic lows..

Normal position = Highs over Denmark = Summer of 1976 when it stalled there!

South of UK = Low pressure systems dragged accross the Atlantic = wet & windy.

Glorious all day here in north Wales, shame I did not bring a scope. :(

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Darren,

I am from Holyhead, nowt there but rain & sheep ....

Nah, summers of 75,76,77 were tops and in 84 lost two backs in April as it was so sunny. Picture below taken during storm and 90 knot winds....

Had the factor 50 on today it was that hot! Supposed to be the same tomorrow with rain towards the end of the week, typical, as we pack up to come home on Saturday.