• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Clutch adjustment ?

Teslar

I'm finding my NEQ6 moves to easily with the clutches fully locked is there any way to adjust these and get a solid lock. It doesn't move under the weight of the scope but I find it moves too easily when I'm doing things like collimation

Great question - I'm interested in the answer as well because I've not had my NEQ6 Pro in bits yet and it moves exactly the same as yours. :)

If it's like the EQ5, there are screws holding the black levers in place. I had to take mine off and turn them slightly to help with tightening them. I also found that grease had found it's way onto the clutch surface. I had to clean mine off. I also had to clean the two plastic/rubber stoppers as they were greasy too. After I had done all this it did improve it, but didn't make it what I think should be perfect, but it was a lot better. I did consider getting hold of some rubber instead of the plasticy type stoppers, but I haven't done that as of yet. You have however reminded me that maybe I should. I would rather they locked virtually solid myself.

Just to add, IMO the plasticy things don't seem like a good idea to me as they seem quite slippy, and you have got quite a lot of leverage over them. Now you got me thinking about them again I'm thinking of super glueing some thin rubber to the surface of the plastic bits.

Hi Tom

Have a look at astro baby's web site.

I am pretty sure they have a complete stripdown and rebuild of the EQ6 on there.

Sould find all the answer to all your questions in one go on there..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AstronomyShed

The inserts on an NEQ6 or EQ6 aren't plastic/rubber, they're brass, but all you do to adjust the clutches is undo the philips screw on the black lever, pull it off, move it round a bit and replace, it's really only a bolt with a lever screwed on the end, the lever inside is engineered a bit like a ring spanner so you can remove it, move it round a notch and put it back on.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AstronomyShed

Possibly, the internals are exactly the same in both mounts at that point.

Cheers Dion. I posted here to give you a break from my questions :)

I am omnipresent lol