We politely request that members refrain from discussing politics and/or the Brexit debate on East Midlands Stargazers. Let's keep it to the topic at hand... Clouds. ☁️

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
Nightspore

ISS or Borg Cube?

Nightspore

I was observing the Moon with my 90mm Orion Maksutov and a 14mm Bresser 60º ‘Plossl’. This gave me 89x for 40 arc minutes, 27 seconds of TFOV. I am 186 metres above mean sea level.

DN8LOcJm.jpg

I’m not sure exactly when, but sometime between 17:00 and 17:15 GMT, an object passed at a diagonal angle directly in front of the Moon. It was in the lunar southern area travelling towards the south east. It can’t be the ISS as SkySafari has just (18:12 GMT) informed me the ISS is rising as I am writing this. Unless my Nexus 7 tablet or SkySafari is still stuck in daylight saving time for some reason.

31MjoCMm.png

The object was angular and large. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t an owl lol. I remember it moving over Petavius in a purposeful straight line as it passed in front of the Moon. Very much like an artificial satellite. The impression as it rapidly passed was of a box kite. There seemed to be some detail, or at least dark and light hues, which I would imagine were solar panels.

I’m not sure what this object was, but I’m going with either the ISS or a Borg Cube (I've more or less ruled out a high altitude box kite lol).

Nightspore
2 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Angular and large ?

Could it be Elon Musks Tesla Roadster........? 😉

Do you think if I wish hard enough it will re-enter and fall on him?

It's only a modified Lotus anyway isn't it?

Nightspore

The mystery may be solved. Apparently the ISS makes a couple of passes every 75 minutes or so. SkySafari only alerts you when it thinks it's dark enough where you live to observe it.

I must have seen the first pass.

Nightspore

This is now the most likely candidate. Stellarium running on Ubuntu comes to the rescue. I've been running Stellarium for over a decade and it still delivers.

yvWVZKU.png

7pUcRZY.png

The time, direction, and angle it crossed the Moon all match.

https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/spacecraft/display.action?id=1989-080A

Zf6yyF4.jpg

Old Soviet technology that slightly resembles a Borg Cube crossed with a box kite.

Nightspore
5 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

It looks Russian doesn't it ??

Yeah, it does look like you'd expect old CCCP space technology would. I still can't believe I could see the solar panel arrays with a 90mm Mak. I told you they were good!

ivSaYu3l.jpg