• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Realigning on a target.

Graham

I often read about people going back to the same target night after night.

How do you make sure that the images from different nights align with each other.

I am using Backyard EOS and a Canon 350 D.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can put up a transparancy of a previous nights work on the screen in Backyard and then align up to that.

If this is the case how do I do it.

Thanks

Graham

Guest Kheldar

I don't have it installed any more but you are right, somewhere in the Frame and Focus window you can load in an image and align against that.

Yep, what Kheldar says.

Plus, if you use DSS for stacking then it will tolerate a reasonable amount of translation and rotation between sessions.

So I am not going completely mad and drempt it then.

Thank you folks I will have a look for that the next time I get a chance to use the scope.

My M42 imaging was done by getting it close-ish by eye, DSS did all the rest. It seems to cope quite well as long as you are close.

Had a look in Backyard but I cannot find anything.

Cannot locate anyway of importing a photo.

Maybe you need live view to make it work.

I would imagine that would be the case. I've not got BYE to have a look, but it makes sense. I just line up a certain point on one of the dots in the squares in the viewfinder, then next time do the same. Dss seems to cope okay with that.

Thanks Mike.

I did discover in BYE if you open the 'frame and focus' pic into the full screen mode and click the 'target' icon it puts up a grid on the screen.

I then set M81 and 82 centeral both ways in this grid so in theory when I go back next time I should be able to set it up exactly the same again.

Edited by Astrotec Limited