• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Power question

Bottletopburly

I have purchased a silicon heat pad only small  with the intention of putting it on my mount when it under cover outside now I tried the dew bands running so it does the job doesn’t require much heat as the covers insulated just keeping dew at bay , now the pad is 12v 240w my supply is 12v 200w 15amp could I power the heat pad with this using a dimmer switch to control temperature?.large.0B9943F0-12C6-45CC-9366-49A83EF6DF45.jpeg.5c04f3b9c2d8e7eade04688271f16b87.jpeg

I cannot see a problem with that.

As it is only 240 w I would try it direct first to see how warm it gets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Graham said:

I cannot see a problem with that.

As it is only 240 w I would try it direct first to see how warm it gets.

Thanks graham 👍

It depends on your power supply. The heater will want to draw 20 amps. If your power supply has fold-back current limiting at 15 amps it could shut down even if you use a PWM controller so you would get no output. Rather than check how hot the heater gets, I would first check how hot the power supply gets!

• Like 1