• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A treat for the Towa

philjay

35 minutes ago, Nightspore said:

Looks good. Is that a GSO Crayford?

Its an Antares, pretty basic but it works fine a darn sight better than the original 0.96" snorkel focuser. The 2" capability has transformed it.

45 minutes ago, Doc said:

Lovely job Phil, reminds me I must get back to mangling again.

You cant beat creating loads of turnings and swarf> I was chuffed with this little job cos it was a chance to try my new lathe parting tool, it actually worked, didnt have to resort to hacksaw at all😀

1 hour ago, philjay said:

Its an Antares, pretty basic but it works fine a darn sight better than the original 0.96" snorkel focuser. The 2" capability has transformed it.

It's just that it looks a lot like a GSO. 

fWBYWs2l.jpg

This GSO is branded TS Optics. The focuser wheels look like your 'Antares'.

11 hours ago, Nightspore said:

It's just that it looks a lot like a GSO. 

fWBYWs2l.jpg

This GSO is branded TS Optics. The focuser wheels look like your 'Antares'.

Its probably from the same factory but just a different sticker. Mine didnt have the finder brackets though, I had to fit my own.

3 hours ago, philjay said:

Its probably from the same factory but just a different sticker. Mine didnt have the finder brackets though, I had to fit my own.

I fitted the finder shoes in the picture. I was a bit surprised they held perfectly with one M4 screw. I suppose it's because they hug the curved surface of the focuser itself. It's very well made but I swapped it for a Sky-Watcher rotating focuser as the rotating mechanism is a bit weird. I still have GSO (TS Optics) rotating focusers on my old ST80's.