• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Job

Guest Fluke

Guest Fluke

After 8 and a half years commuting to and from Hinckley from S-in-A (108 mile round trip a day at my cost) I've finally got myself a new job a little closer to home in South Sheffield just 5 mins from Rother Valley Optics - how convenient! B)

Edited by Fluke

Congrats. The saving in fuel will be dwarfed by the extra cost of having RVO so close lol.

Guest Fluke

You guys doing all the travelling - do you find your permo-knackered come the weekend? I struggle to stay awake past 10pm which isn't ideal for our hobby.

Leicester to Ashford (Middx) next to Slough - for 4years was one of my worst. The other was Leicester to Vauxhaul for 1year (oh and Leicester to Dublin for 1year , Leicester to stoke 2.5yrs, and currently Leicester/Brum - two years so far).

Bet you're glad to be out of it Dan - you're now promoted to official RVO gopher too lol :)

Congrats on the new job, a rare beast these days.

I commuted from Glasgow to Luton for 1 year, but then again I work at the airport, and it was only 2 hours travel time.

My round trip is 92 miles from Kettering to Luton, 10.5 years and counting. Lift sharing with 2 others who live nearby keeps me sane! 1 hour each way.

There and I thought I had it bad comuting the 2 miles or so every day. :P :P :P

Congrats on a rare event these days.

Edited by Astrotec Limited

Guest Steve

I'm currently decorating my study, so as I'm currently working in my bedroom my daily commute can be achieved by climbing over the end of my bed straight into my chair - I don't even have to touch the ground! B)

Congrats Dan! I currently do Leicester to Nottingham Monday to Friday-60 mile round trip. However after next week I will be working (same role) but out of the offices at Leicester Royal Infirmary :o). So my commute will go to 2.4 miles round trip per day which will be by cycle/foot. And if they want me to work at any other sites I can now charge it to expenses account :).

A tip for not feeling knackered by weekend (I've a feeling you may not like this tip!) is to workout regularly. I used to be majorly into fitness when I used to fight on the national taekwondo circuit when I was younger. After uni I let myself slide and last July decided that beer and bad diet was making me feel and look crap. So since then I have changed my diet and lost 13kg. Now I workout regularly and eat well (low sugar diet) and my energy levels are 3 times what they were last year. Don't get me wrong I still have occasional blowouts like take aways and beers but just not very often and I hit the gym hard 3-4 times a week (minimum 2). It was horrendous at first I felt more tired than I ever had in my life but it got better and now it's more a lifestyle than a chore.

Sorry for the life story! Congratulations again and hope to see you at the dark sites soon :)

Congratulations Dan, not only is it going to save you fuel costs, but also all the wasted time sat on the road.

You might get your life back!

Good Luck mate. :)

I'm still hoping to win the lottery, my 14 mile commute from Hucknall to Ruddington takes me approx an hour!!!!! Damn ring road. :(

Congrats though on the new job.

Edited by Daz type-r

My commute was quite bad this morning, I met SWMBO on the stairs :P Possibly the shortest journey to a place of work on the forum, except at weekends when I am anywhere from Buxton to Holland!

Guest Ely Ellis

Good one Dan. Wish I could work closer to home.

Not quite a daily comute, but South Normanton to Singapore / Thailand! :D

Good one Dan. Wish I could work closer to home.

Not quite a daily comute, but South Normanton to Singapore / Thailand!

What do you do for a living?! :)

Corrosion (or rather anti-corrosion) equipment engineer.

Dry docks and off-shore surveys

Cool :)

Guest Fluke

Thanks Guys, sounds like there are quite a few of us commuting across the country, and continents in Martins case!

Felix, I know my tiredness has a lot to do with my poor diet but it's hard to break the cycle. Must try harder!

Edited by Fluke

Guest Fluke
I was up at 3:50 to get the Eurostar to Paris this morning. Commuting doesn't agree with me!

Ouch! I thought 5:15 every morning was bad..

Guest Bryndalf

Well done mate, it's a great feeling :)

7 years doing an average of 171 miles a day (sales job with my office in Newbury). Now on pride park.