• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Barlow lens

Nuttyboy72

Hi , I’m looking for a decent Barlow lens & was wondering if you could give me some guidance .

I’m after it to go with the below 

celestron nexstar 8se 

Altair lightwave premium dielectric 2” SCT diagonal

Baader Hyperion eyepieces 

Skywatcher 102 goto 

Thanks 

Neil

What kind of budget are you looking at. The televue power mate is arguably the best, but has a price to match.

Edited by tuckstar

Although the Tele-vue option commands a high price (£312 for the 2x 2" for eg with the 1.25" at £207)

you can pick them up used for a lot less.

Generally expect to pay £175 - £200 for a used 2" 2x. I would say the 2" sets the benchmark for 'Barlow' performance.

As its a premium brand, they are usually very well cared for, and will hold their value well if you wish to sell it again further down the line.

I never have to wait long if i sell any Tele-vue item. They are always sought after.

One here here on UKAB/S

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=157220

HTH, Rob 😀

Edited by Bino-viewer

I used to have a Celestron omni 2x Barlow https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/celestron-omni-x2-barlow-lens-125.html that seemed fine to me I gave it to another member after buying a used  TAL 2x Barlow which is regarded as quite a good one tbh I thought it was on par with the Celestron  all depends on your budget .

Edited by Bottletopburly

I also have a TAL 2x and 3x never had a problem but I don't do any Planetary at the moment..

Ron

3 hours ago, Clive said:

Wow, at those prices you could get 2 or 3 shorter focal length eyepieces instead.

Well yes, but the OP may have those already. He may have a whole set of Hyperions ?

My recommendation towards a used Powermate may be just what he's after ? 

A lot of my Tele-vue stuff is second hand and there are some bargains out there.

He was after something decent Barlow wise and hasn't mentioned a budget......

Hi,

i was thinking up to £120-£150 could possibly save a bit more.

I’ve been looking at the Tele Vue 2x which is £121 I think from FLO &

Baader VIP Modular 2x Barlow Lens (1.25" and 2") £163 from FLO 

but not sue because I’ve only ever used the Barlow that came with my celestron lol

I do have the set of Hyperion’s 24mm - 5mm so was hoping for something that would compliment them . 
thanks for all the help & advice 

Neil

If you have set of hyperions from 24 to 5mm why do you want a barlow? You'll get less defraction using fixed eyepiece and the hyperion has lots of eyerelief.

Also if you take the bottom element of the 21mm hyperion it become a 2" 32mm or there abouts. Just in case you didn't know.

Edited by tuckstar

Hi thanks for the info . I didn't know that about the 21mm EP .

I thought I needed a barlow to connect to my DSLR camera or my neximage 10 ? also I worked out that if I used a 2x barlow with one of my EP's I could hit the highest useful magnification of 480x lol 

is it better to use the Hyperion's as 2"  EP's ( I believe they can be used as 1.25 or 2") 

2 hours ago, tuckstar said:

If you have set of hyperions from 24 to 5mm why do you want a barlow? You'll get less defraction using fixed eyepiece and the hyperion has lots of eyerelief.

Also if you take the bottom element of the 21mm hyperion it become a 2" 32mm or there abouts. Just in case you didn't know.

The 13mm can be used as a 2” 24mm and with a spacer ring a 8mm but can’t remember for definite the exact fl 

I've just noticed your in Ilkeston & district astronomical society tuckstar

I've been hoping to come to a meeting & join when i'm able to stand & walk without being in pain again , but it's taking some time still .

1 hour ago, Nuttyboy72 said:

I've just noticed your in Ilkeston & district astronomical society tuckstar

I've been hoping to come to a meeting & join when i'm able to stand & walk without being in pain again , but it's taking some time still .

Just give me shout. You'd be more than welcome. We meet at Shipley park visitor centre second and last wednesday of the month.

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

The 13mm can be used as a 2” 24mm and with a spacer ring a 8mm but can’t remember for definite the exact fl 

I had a chart with the different fls for each eyepiece with spacers but haven't seen it since I got the ES's.

Edit, found it!

2014-09-10-18-20-48

Edited by tuckstar