• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Terrible start to weekend

catman161

Well I have been looking forward to seeing my buddies down at the skydiving centre this weekend to celebrate my mates birthday. I said goodbye to my fiancée and wished her well on her hen weekend and just as I was about to pull away in the car she comes running out the house screaming. I run bak into the house out to the back yard to see my cat Gilbert being mauled by next doors dog. I couldn't get to him as it was happening in next doors garden and their gate was padlocked. The neighbour (whom we have a terrible history with and have had to call the police on twice before) finally let me into their house and I ran through and got my cat.

His abdomen was wide open and he was pouring blood everywhere. I got him straight to the vets. This was two hours ago. They just called to say that they have to amputate his penis and and will try to repair the muscle damage to his back legs. They said he probably won't look the same ever again.

Lets hope he makes it through the surgery and gets better soon. Here's to hoping the skies are clear tonight too-I always find observing clears my mind a little.

That's awful Felix - couldn't have come at a worse time - I do hope Gilbert gets through the op ok for you both.

Best Wishes for poor Gilbert. I hope he feels better soon.

That must have been horrible for you all.

Don't quite know what to say to that other than what has been said above.

I would look into prosecution of some sort as that dog sounds a bit too bad to be having around, that could be a child one day!

Hope your moggy gets well soon and is not too badly injured.

:(

Edited by Daz type-r

Hope all goes well, that dog wants 'sorting', as said earlier it could be a toddler next time! Keep us posted!

Really sorry for you, your fiancée and your cat.

That is a horrible situation to have to deal with.

Thanks everyone. Have just had a call from the vet. He managed to reconstruct poor Gilbert's penis but has ha to circumcise him. He has repaired the muscle lacerations on both thighs and seen all the skin in his abdomen and legs together.

He'll be in hospital with a catheter and IV drop and antibiotics for a couple of days then maybe home if he eats and drinks ok.

Contacted police but they said it would just get thrown out of court.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and kind words.

Felix

I should see a solicitor Felix, they should at least be made to pay the vet bill if nothing else!!

Glad he's getting sorted.

Somehow you'll just have to keep him away from that viscious dog.

Wishing Gilbert a speedy recovery.

We asked about that Ron but the police said that it would cost a lot for solicitors time with no guarantee of success. As if they refused to pay bill upon request then we would have to take it to court and it would be thrown out.

As I said in previous post we have had dealings with these particular neighbours involving antisocial behaviour and the police in the past. Things have been going fairly smoothly with them for the last couple of years until this.

Thanks Peter. Should hear by midday how he's doing and what the plan is next.

Felix

Update:

Gilbert is home! :) in remarkably good spirits. Has a wound drain and catheter still in place to allow for healing of the urethra and for the build up of fluid around the internal wounds to be released.

I have had to purchase a dog play pen and put absorbent pads down as due to the wound drain and catheter he is constantly leaking everywhere! He is not allowed outside for a while now. I had to fashion a "roof" for the pen as Gilbert jumped out! Which I guess could be interpreted as either that he really doesn't want to be cooped up or that he feels well enough to jump-I'm going with the latter :) So just got to monitor for signs of infection and then regular checkups with vet.

Thanks again for all your kind words. Sorry for using the forum as a "vent" I just felt like killing the dog but thought it best to vent my anger in a less cruel way. Thanks again everyone :) As you can see he is looking quite relaxed!

Iam pleased to see he's home, and recovering a bit. You have to spoil him more than usual now.

Don't apologise for using the forum as you have, that's what we are here for, good and bad.

wow what a horriable story, thought my neighbour was a tit but if his dog did that to my cat he`d also be in hospital i`m affaid.

i bet he hasn`t even been round to see how the cat was.

Guest Steve

One of mine got run over a couple of years ago - pelvis broken in two - the X-ray was amazing! There was no treatment as such - but I had to pen her up at home for 3 months. She hated it and it was really hard keeping her shut up when she seemed OK from the outside, but I'm glad we did as she is as right as rain now - cats can really bounce back.

Nice to see the photo Felix.

I'm sure he will need a lot of rest to recover from such a trauma.

I couldn't really call myself a pet lover, (though I do enjoy my tropical fish), but I hate to hear of unnecessary pain and suffering to an animal.

And If it affects a fellow astronomer then we are concerned.