• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Filter for an unmodified DSLR

Clive

Does anyone use a filter when imaging through an unmodified DSLR? If so, are the resulting images significantly better with rather than without?

Back in the 80's I sourced a neodymium filter from a (none astronomical) optics supplier which cut out virtually all the sodium lamp skyglow.  Having returned to imaging bits of the sky, the orange glow has gone as all the sodium lamps have now been replaced with LED lamps. Since these give out a broad spectrum, I'm not sure how effective one of the skyglow/contrast filters would be since they appear to be aimed at reducing sodium and mercury vapour lamp emissions.

Since I only image through lenses , it would need to be a clip filter for a Canon so that cuts down my choices significantly.

Hi,

The only filter I know that has been designed with LED and sodium light pollution in mind is the new IDAS D2 Light Pollution Suppression Filter but that is optimised for CCD and modified cameras. They have a clip in version for a full frame and a crop sensor Canon DSLR

JPB 

Thanks for your response, I hadn't come across the IDAS D2 filter in my brief searches to date. It certainty looks as thought it has a better spectral response for LED lighting than others I've looked at. Interestingly, searching for reviews about it tonight, I came across a thread on this site posted a year ago as to its effectiveness so if anyone out there has actually bit the bullet and bought one, how effective is it? There seemed to be some concern about halos but I'm sure I read on another site that it was 'fixed' by a setting in DSS (I've been trying to find it again but so far failed).

• Like 1

It was probably my post Clive I have the 2” version, it is good BUT I have found it to give aqua stars due to it filtering the yellow spectrum, the halos it caused was a setting in DSS under the cosmetic tab >uncheck hot pixels , I did think of trying two sets of data pulling the luminance channel from filtered set and using the rgb channels from the unfiltered data still not tried that yet , though I have seen images with good colouring or Color that I would be happy with  , I use startools and currently the developer was looking into wether there is a way to work round data used with a filter,

Edited by Bottletopburly

Glad to see that you ended up getting one and you haven't slammed it since I bit the bullet and ordered the APS-C version from RVO yesterday. I'll keep the site updated after I get to use it.

• Like 1