• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My 10" SNT and 80WA

Tweedledee

Meade 10" F4 Schmidt Newtonian and Celestron 80WA.

Getting these 6 images from my iphone and into this post took 2 and a half hours!!!

Is it any wonder I stick to visual :D .

Nice scope. Uploading photos takes seconds in tapatalk what were you doing for two hours ;)

Guest JohnC

Great scope. I had the 8" version a few years ago and it gave remarkable wide field views.

You are going to enjoy this one.

Cheers Tom.

I will have to have a go with Tapatalk. It is fiddly using the EMS forum using a browser on the iphone. I just wasted a load of time last night downloading a wifi app to transfer photos to my laptop. Had trouble getting that to work. Then I had to do a bit of trial and error 'cos it didn't just work as per the instructions. Had to do each image one at a time. Once on the laptop the SNT ones came out sideways (which they would cos I'd turned the iphone) so I turned them all round in my software and saved them, but for some baffling reason, when I got them into EMS they still appeared sideways. Trial and error and swearing again and eventually got it right. So just a catalog of frustrating little problems. Possibly compounded by the fact I was using linux not Windows.

What is the scope in your avatar?

Cheers Keith and John.

Hope to be giving a first light report soon. Need a good mount for it now.

Guest Tweedledum

Bloomin heck Pete, looks like a howitzer!....a lesson in file manip next time you visit the coffee shop :D

Great stuff. You'll have to come up to my coffee shop and have a closer look. Try lifting it, you'll probably think it's a lightweight :lol: .

I'm very pleased with the 80mm now I have it on the pan and tilt mount with the handle to move it around. So much more convenient to use than that horrible EQ mount it came on. I don't even miss the slow motions because the pan and tilt is so smooth I can get really fine adjustment with the handle.

The Schmitt Newts and Mak Newts are very heavy - couldn't believe the weight of the 6" one I lifted at Kelling. A 10" one is gonna need more than an NEQ6 I'm sure. :)

Hi Kim,

Actually it has been on an EQ6 all it's life till I got it.

I think the Mak Newts are probably heavier than the Schmidt Newts size for size as the corrector is a much thicker piece of glass. But yes they are definately going to be heavier than a normal newt of the same aperture and F ratio.

The bathroom scales report 15.6 kg inc. finder, but SWMBO says they always read high :D .

I reckon the NEQ6 Pro's max capacity is around 20kg - 25kg according to reports, so I guess it's just in range by the time you put on counterwieghts. Should be fine for visual but it's a heck of a sail if imaging in even the lightest wind - they do make terrific imagers though don't they :)

- they do make terrific imagers though don't they :)

Even I could eventually be drawn towards the dark side :P .

Even I could eventually be drawn towards the dark side :P .

I should hope so too with that scope ;)

I think you should seriously consider a losmandy dovetail on beast. I've got a 10" Quattro similar weight and and I use a losmany plus uprated Hi Tensile bolts. So glad I took that advice. The whole set up is more rigid now and I tested the original screws they were so easy to snap its worrying the makers trust an expensive scope to such cheap screws

Thanks for that Tom.

Those bolts are tiny and I can see now that they would be a weak spot.

I will definately look into an upgrade and HT bolts.

That really would be the end if the OTA fell off :o .

That Losmandy really does look the part Damian.

These were the screws I used for my SW rings. You might find this seller has what you need

10 pcs - 1/4 x 1" BSW WHITWORTH BLACK HIGH TENSILE CAP HEAD SOCKET ALLEN BOLTS: http://bit.ly/LHNsnW

Thanks Tom,

£2.08 for 10 and free delivery. That is a small price to pay to save the OTA crashing down. I will have to check the thread on mine which are definitely not HT and are only 16mm long. I reckon up to 30mm long would fit.

Cheers.

Think that mount is well out of my price range Damian. That 10" looks like F5 or 6.

You can just see the screws on my Quattro f4 10" mounted on the losmandy. Given there is only two screws holding that scope. They have to be strong and the supplied ones are shockingly weak

4e90c8ba-858e-4660.jpg

Where did you get that guide scope alignment mechanism, Tom? The ones I've seen are very expensive.

It's the SW guide mount I got it from 365Astronomy for £118 as I recall it was the best price. Expensive but it's an excellent addition with lots of mounting options

4e90c8ba-f31d-cd77.jpg

Thanks Tom. Great price and looks good. I've seen some more than twice that price. Much more convenient and more rigid than 2 rings with 6 screws.