• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

More Data on M 51

Graham

Managed to get some more on M51 last night.

Did not know how to add to an exsisting photo so I just put the new subs in with the others and then restacked in DSS again.

Its getting there slowly.

Nice one, they are coming on nicely but it does look like the cores are getting too bright. I am in no way an astro photographer but is there something that can be done so you don't blow the cores but keep the details in the arms?

Still looking good though, keep up the good work!

Nice one, they are coming on nicely but it does look like the cores are getting too bright. I am in no way an astro photographer but is there something that can be done so you don't blow the cores but keep the details in the arms?

Still looking good though, keep up the goof work!

Looking good Graham. This is on my "to do" list, so following with interest. Which scope are you using, sub lengths etc?

The cores are perhaps a little over done, they look like you may have just slightly clipped the histogram maybe? A little fine tuning there and with curves and I'm sure you can cure that though. Have you used APT on it yet?

Hi Mike.

I think the secret lies in layers.

You can somehow make another layer tone the cores right down and then merge the two so the cores are replaced with the corrected ones in the second layer.

But that is going to be another learning curve.

Its like being on a roller coaster this imaging lark.

Mike I am using the 200mm Newt.

Running 60 second subs at ISO 800.

I have been playing with APT and from what I have done so far it seems great.

What I need to do is sit down and do a processing run when I can take my time, I am always in too much of a rush so I tend to alter things far to much.

Oooh, so there's hope for my set up then when I get around to giving it a go since we have the same kit :)

Yeah, there is something with masks and layers I believe, I did have a quick go once with M42 but failed, I need to work on those skills more before winter. I would perhaps go for a set of shorter subs to nail the core and then go a bit longer for the dust lanes. That should give you plenty of data to play with. Maybe try 45 secs and see what that comes out like? I was tempted to swing round to M51 myself last night but couldn't be faffed with getting the 200 out and cooled. That was about the only area of the sky that stayed clear for most of the night here lol.