• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Check your bolts

Tweedledee

I'm so glad Tom (Teslar) alerted me to this.

He suggested an upgrade on the dovetail and bolts for my relatively heavy 10" Schmidt Newt.

I was very surprised and concerned when I took out the bolts attaching the dovetail to the tube rings. There are just two of them M6, only 16mm long, and worst of all, less than 3 turns of the hex key and they fell out! So I had nearly 16kg of ota (even heavier when I've finished loading it up) hanging on about 3mm of thread on 2 small bolts.

This morning I went to my local bolt supplier and got two high tensile bolts 25mm long and two 30mm long. I thought the 30mm might be a millimetre or so too long and pinch the tube. They were 50 pence for cash!

The alternative could have easily been a major calamity if the threads had sheared under the weight and the ota had fallen to the ground :o .

Whatever tackle you have, it could be worth just checking those bolts and changing them if necessary, before it's too late.

Cheers,

Pete.

From an engineering point of view a Nut and Bolt is in safety if you get 3 threads clear of the nut.

But as you say you can't trust the monkey metal supplied.

Glad to help spread the news. I can't believe Skywatcher thought my Quattto was safe on the two bolts and vixen they supplied. After I replaced them I tested one and the head twisted off so easily seems they are made of cheese

Edited by Teslar

Good old quality Chinese metal.

I know margins are tight these days but you would have thought for the price of that scope they would supply you with quality Stainless Steel bolts.

I supose that is the big company mentality, so long as it does the job as cheaply as possible then great and sod the customer.

A timely warning there Pete with everyone getting set ups ready for the longer nights.