• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS 1

cosmic dave

EMS 1 our first starparty in creeping up on us, is everyone aware of it ? especially new members to the site. Its being held at Anderby Lincs (a very dark site) and there are still plenty of pitches available. We have be given the whole bottom field of the campsite so we can keep it nice and dark. For more details see the ad on the homepage

Look forward to seeing you there

David

Nice one on the bump, all though the banner is un-missable I think, but like they say, every little helps.

I'm looking forward to it.

So if we turn up friday do we have to book 3 nights or just 2 if leaving early hours monday morning? Might sound dumb so appologies for lowering the tone....

I'm thinking I might well attend but will leave sat afternoon to go work just down the rd, then be back circa 10:30pm sat night, might need to figure a way to see in the dark so as not to have the van headlights turned on as I drive back in though lol.

i`ve got the time off work for this one, should be fun, and really looking forward to it.

it`ll be my third star party this year, SGL, Kelling heath, and EMS 1

So if we turn up friday do we have to book 3 nights or just 2 if leaving early hours monday morning? Might sound dumb so appologies for lowering the tone....

I'm thinking I might well attend but will leave sat afternoon to go work just down the rd, then be back circa 10:30pm sat night, might need to figure a way to see in the dark so as not to have the van headlights turned on as I drive back in though lol.

The majority of us are there for Friday night and Saturday night, I am looking to get there for about 14:00 on the Friday as I have Mick and Craig stopping in my tent, so need to get set up ready for them to arrive to unload their stuff, will be leaving around lunch time on the Sunday, I`m sure you could stay later if you wanted.

I'm thinking I'll book the Fri and Sat nights then, if it ends up going on sunday night I'm sure they will accept more money lol.

Can I also point out that if anybody is going who has not put their name down on the main EMS1 thread could do so, that way we have one place where we have a rough idea of numbers, saves us totting up numbers from two different threads.

Ta.

Cool, thanks guys. This is going to be my only party this year so I'm hoping the cloud gods will be kind. I'm thinking we shoud try and pitch the tents in a circle so we have a large central observing area. This part of lincs does not have the tree cover like kelling, they say most trees died in the 1950's when a surge sent the sea about 5 miles inland !

Guest Fluke
Cool, thanks guys. This is going to be my only party this year so I'm hoping the cloud gods will be kind. I'm thinking we shoud try and pitch the tents in a circle so we have a large central observing area. This part of lincs does not have the tree cover like kelling, they say most trees died in the 1950's when a surge sent the sea about 5 miles inland !

I like the idea of the tents in a circle but wouldn't that leave some of us being too far from electric hook up points?

It could do unless we worked it so the people with longest hook up cables are the in the spots away from the hook up points, I will do another night time visit to have a look.

Guest Fluke

Dumb question I know, but It's years since I last went camping and have never had leccy hook up before - do I need to bring any cabling myself other than my regular 3 pin plugs to tap into the supply?

Not a dumb question, and sensible as we can stop you suffering anguish when you get there!

To connect to a camp site hook up you need a Electric Hook Up. This is a dedicated bit of kit, that is made to remain waterproof, ( the plug end, the other bit goes in your tent ) and has a built in RCD. This disconnect's the power if you get a fault that may prove fatal otherwise.

Please don't be tempted to connect without an RCD, Iv'e seen a few homebrew cables that have been down right dangerous.

Have a look here, it should help.

http://www.ukcampsit.../view.asp?id=81

And you never know the rain my have stopped by october...