• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mrs R.

BAZ

I don't know how many of you will remember Nikki, she was the nurse that joined us in the early days when we had Sawley.

I still keep in touch and she moved some years ago to Retford and not only remained in nursing, but  studied and became more qualified.

She was on Lorraine yesterday, here's the Youtube link.

• Like 3

She is a special lady indeed, and an amateur astronomer as well...!! 😀

Although i'm classed as a 'key worker' myself, what i do pales into complete insignificance  

compared to our front line nurses, doctors and other hospital staff.

We are indebted to them. They do an amazing job.

I remember chatting to her a few times, seems a long time ago now. I just want to repeat what Rob says, all front line workers are doing a fantastic job under very difficult circumstances and I take my hat of to them, a massive thankyou from me.

• Like 3

I have nothing but respect for Nikki and all NHS workers on the front line risking their own lives in order to save others.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of them and their patients.

• Like 3

The care home my daughter works in had 4 suspected cases of the elderly residents. 

They got tested and 3 have come back positive, still waiting results for one and they now have another 4 suspected cases.

I'm sitting here in lockdown and she's working in full PPE (apron, gloves, mask and goggles) - - Very proud of what she's doing but also worried!

Spoke to my daughter this morning and it's all a bit grim.  The people in there are all elderly and most are quite frail and some are in a bad way.

The staff have most of the PPE they need but have come up with a DIY full face shield by using A4 laminator sheets with a couple of holes to attach to their goggles.

A long way from ideal but it gives some protection against droplets landing on their faces and you've got to admire the resourcefulness of turning office stationary into protective equipment!

• Like 3

SWMBO has now been transfered to the wards at Derby. And apparently the Councils still want the parks open and the grass cut, so I'm now a key worker as well! Kids are having to still go school at least one day a week! My job doesn't even compare to what my wife, her colleagues and the rest of the NHS are doing, or what they will be faced with over next few months. Worrying times. Stay safe guys. 

Edited by tuckstar
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, tuckstar said:

SWMBO has now been transfered to the wards at Derby. And apparently the Councils still want the parks open and the grass cut, so I'm now a key worker as well! Kids are having to still go school at least one a week! My job doesn't even compare to what my wife, her colleagues and the rest of the NHS are doing, or what they will be faced with over next few months. Worrying times. Stay safe guys. 

Hope your wife and all her colleagues manage to keep safe.  They're working under incredible pressure but without them things would be so much worse.

They need to be safe and care for themselves so they can continue to care for those that need it.  Massive amount of respect for all of them!

Spoke with my daughter this morning (or rather I listened to her cry) they lost one to Covid-19 last night and another 2 not expected to last the day.

Only her and one other members of staff to cover a 10 hour shift looking after 36 very frail residents, some confirmed and some suspected to have the virus.

We're on a 12 week lockdown (NHS letter for asthma) so can't do anything to help.

My father in law died on Monday (NOT corona) in the same care home, so we have that to deal with.

I genuinely hope that once this is all over we look at how much we pay the people we rely on the most!

At the moment for many it's maximum risk for minimum wage.

Hope all of you, your families and friends stay safe and well.

Al

Sounds like you're all really going through it Alastair, my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

Take care and stay well

Ron

2 hours ago, RonC said:

Sounds like you're all really going through it Alastair, my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

Take care and stay well

Ron

Thanks Ron,

There are others having it much, much worse .... my only problem is frustration and not being able to do anything to help.

With so many people out there giving everything they've got, sitting on my backside doing nothing just seems wrong!