• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What bird did I hear

Bottletopburly

Out for our evening walk last night about 7.30 ish takes us down the side of a  town wood I could hear a Long low bird call now it lasted about 2-3secs and it was calling for quite a while ,the only bird I thought it could be was a pheasant but then the more I thought it wasn’t right I don’t think ,heard many a pheasant and didn’t sound like this  🤔, so I assume it’s a mating call of maybe a migrating bird, but never heard that sound before coming from the wood , so what did I possibly hear ?.

Edited by Bottletopburly

2 hours ago, RonC said:

Woodcock maybe, Google it and check??

Had a listen not that ron it was a low single sound initially I thought it was a small dog barking then realised it was a single sound so definitely not a dog 

1 hour ago, RonC said:

My only other thought was a Heron? 

May have  possibly been a Fox 🦊 just had a google 

Quite possible this time of year as the adults will be out and about to feed the youngsters!

Ron

• Like 1