• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Photography

Sheila

Can anyone tell me if my Canon DSLR 50D is OK for astrophotography and do I need anything extra

to take pictures. I have a 8" newtonian with a EQ5 go to mount

Sheila

Just a Canon T-ring should be enough to attach it. The 1.25" focuser tube should unscrew to reveal a T-thread on which to mount it. If there's no thread on the tube then you'll need an adaptor. There are 2" adaptors too. The camera will need to be as close to the body of the scope as possible to get focus (inwards focus is sometimes an issue). If it is an issue you might need a low profile focuser.

Try a few shots on the brighter dso's like M42, M45, etc and see what you get. If the bug bites then you may consider the filter removal mod to capture more of the red Ha wavelengths given off by some nebulae. You might also consider software like APT (Astro Photography Tool) for scheduling a series of long exposures and camera settings via pc.

Also look into "guiding". A good book to get you going is "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards (Steppenwolfe on SGL) - it's the bible for starting imaging and a cracking book for only £20'ish. :)

http://www.firstligh...rs/t-rings.html

http://www.firstligh...daptors/page/2/

http://www.firstligh...e-richards.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/skywatcher-dual-speed-low-profile-1252-inch-crayford-focuser.html

And for a good read on Astrophotography with a Canon:

http://www.astronomi...k/helpcanon.htm

Thanks for that, as soon as I get set up I will give it a go :)

Sheila

I feel the darkside as another victim in the waiting ,this might be the start of a purse busting couple of weeks

Thanks, that sounds comforting :o

Photographing aurora is a bit different Sheila.

Would be nice if you would post some pics.

I see your profile pic, but that comes out a bit small.

My wife has very little interest in astronomy, but she has always been fascinated by a aurora. I took her on a surprise "Northern Lights" flight from East Midlands Airport for our wedding anniversary. Had some wonderful views and she loved it.

My wife has very little interest in astronomy, but she has always been fascinated by a aurora. I took her on a surprise "Northern Lights" flight from East Midlands Airport for our wedding anniversary. Had some wonderful views and she loved it.

The pic I had to edit very small as it would not let me dowload more than 100kb? My pics are more like 4mb normally. Is this jus because its a profile picture? Do larger ones post on your profile. Pics in from Iceland very near the volcano that went up and stopped all the air flights! I was there not long after it went up. The crater was still smoking when we went up to have a look. Won't try and spell it's name :(

Regards

Sheila

Eyjafjallajökull

Just had to look it up, couldn't remember the name, never mind spell it :unsure: .

Would be interesting to see some pics of the volcano as well.

In your profile you have a gallery. You can upload any photo's you want others to see. I don't think there is a limit on size, but it seems to reduce them to a size suitable for the screen.

Cheers.

Eyjafjallajökull

Just had to look it up, couldn't remember the name, never mind spell it :unsure: .

Would be interesting to see some pics of the volcano as well.

In your profile you have a gallery. You can upload any photo's you want others to see. I don't think there is a limit on size, but it seems to reduce them to a size suitable for the screen.

Cheers.

Thanks for that will have a look tonight and try and load some

Sheila

Guest Fluke

Rather than trying to upload pics directly to the forum I find it easier to set up a Flickr account or similar and then post links to the pics in the account :)

Rather than trying to upload pics directly to the forum I find it easier to set up a Flickr account or similar and then post links to the pics in the account

OK, here is an older woman being talked to about nerdy things like flickr accounts. Last time I heard the name Flicker it was a horse I think on a television serial! I will now go and google flickr to see what I am missing.

:)

Cheers

Sheila

OK, here is an older woman being talked to about nerdy things like flickr accounts. Last time I heard the name Flicker it was a horse I think on a television serial! I will now go and google flickr to see what I am missing.

:)

Cheers

Sheila

That made me chukle Sheila.

:D

'My friend Flicker' B&W series circa 1964-66 I think, liked the comment Shiela, made me smile! :) :) :)

'My friend Flicker' B&W series circa 1964-66 I think, liked the comment Shiela, made me smile! :) :) :)

Probably I will have to put my age on now you put the years the serial was on, and yes those dates would be about right - Cheers Ron

I think the device that Steve posted is a bit more sophisticated than a remote release.

You can program it to do multiple exposures, at what ever shutter speeds and times you want. It just takes the tedious bit out.

I think the device that Steve posted is a bit more sophisticated than a remote release.

You can program it to do multiple exposures, at what ever shutter speeds and times you want. It just takes the tedious bit out.

It does, I got one not so long ago although it came with free clouds :( anyhoo, it allows you to take longer exposures than the camera will norally take, and allows you to set it up for say 100 exposures of 60 seconds with a gap of 60 seconds in between etc. Makes it easier to drink tea whilst imaging :D

Will have to have another look then and see what else more stuff is going to cost me <_<

Posted a few becuase apparently I need to get the hang of Flickr as the max image size here is 1mb. Not a very professional photographer though :(

Sheila

Very nice pics Sheila.

You got pretty close the volcano.

Must have been really dramatic actually being there.

Very nice pics Sheila.

You got pretty close the volcano.

Must have been really dramatic actually being there.

Yes it was, going up the glacier in a toyota landcruiser with flat tyres was interesting too :blink:

Do you have a link to your flikr site Sheila?

Not sorted Flickr yet but how do you post a link here when I do?

Sheila