• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Norfolk

Astro-Geek

Just as the Nights are "drawing out" 🧐

Have to concentrate on just the Moon now,  and Jupiter and Saturn are too low to my more obscured South horizon......   😪

Welcome along Paul 😀🔭

I'm the same with an obscured (by trees) southern view, but i do have a 'gap'

an hour or so when i can view Jupiter / Saturn in between the trees and the neighbours house.

Mars should be better this summer though....??

Edited by Bino-viewer

Thanks for the welcome everyone, appreciated.

56 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

......I'm the same with an obscured (by trees) southern view, but i do have a 'gap'

an hour or so when i can view Jupiter / Saturn in between the trees and the neighbours house.

Mars should be better this summer though....??

I've got very clear horizons to the West and North West, but there's a large house to the South east and an outbuilding to the South West.

Amazing how much they obscure the Ecliptic, especially when it's so low.

Here's a screendump from Stellarium showing the view tomorrow morning just before Sunrise.

(It's a pretty accurate representation of the view from my Pod,  there was an interesting article in last April's Sky at Night mag explaining how to embed your own viewing panorama from a photo.)

spacer.png

Hi Paul and welcome. My southern horizon is pretty much obscured too and there's also a dirty great stinking streetlight in the way. 

1 hour ago, Glafnazur said:

Hi Paul and welcome. My southern horizon is pretty much obscured too and there's also a dirty great stinking streetlight in the way. 

Ahh..  I'm luckier there,  my lifeplan was to gradually move as far away from my original London as possible, and I succeeded !

For the past 20 years I've lived down a beautifully dark country lane (Bortle 4), and the Milky Way  is a fantastic sight on moonless clear Winter nights...  🧐

Hi Paul, a warm welcome to the group.

You are lucky if you have a good dark sky nowdays and living in Norfolk can't be all bad. 

Have a good mooch around and make yourself at home. Of course if you have any questions then feel free to ask away.

Eah up Paul, welcome to the forum.

May see you at Kelling at some point?