• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hexy 635 binoscope update= new mount and a kiln for making blanks

Guest black eyed hexy

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi guys , just another little update on Hexy,s progress, or rather "regress", After putting the scope together I noticed quiet by accident the main mount bearing was cracked "yikes"-- I think this was due to heat from welding the mount to the pier format. Anyway I had a hard decision to make--repair it or completely remake ,costing precious time. I decided on a remake as there was some flexing in the mount anyway, I,m really glad now I did as the new mount is far superior having double bearings to support movement. At the same time I,ve collecting alsorts of bits as I think of or find them.

So here,s some pics

the mount is driven now with a 12 volt wiper motor off an old ford and is speed controlled, this turns a wood disc by means of a rubber friction wheel, this translates to a reducing gearbox from a mobility stairlift chair, which turns a the cam belt from an old ford complete with toothed pully, this rotates the main shaft spindle housing the new double bearing turning the scope either way for tracking or slewing to a desired object , and will be controlled by a control panel at the eyepiece area ,as will all other required movements, I need to decorate now it,s complete. in bench tests it work,s like a dream,

this is my latest addition from ebay and took me seven weeks to get it home ,I had couriers nightmare.

I will be able to melt or fuse glass blanks up to 29 inch dia .up to three at a time.

it is 15kw single phase and came from a retiring top porcelain figure maker .

I can lay my hands on three tons of glass which was made available by the recent huge hail storms in leicester. nice one that. came just right for me.

melting Dan

Awesome stuff. I have been wondering what was happening with tumour massive binos and was fearing perhaps that you may have given up on the idea. So glad to see you are still going strong with the project.

I am still eagerly waiting in anticipation to see them when they are finished. I can only imagine the views will be amazing!

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi catman , so youse still here yourself, well that can only mean you have a chance to see the Hexy finale--when it happens ! will enjoy sharing more updates with yer when they happen.

I thought you might have died and redied with boredom (weather wise) we,ve had to increase the size of our raingauge this year and I,m fearing the raspberries will explode before they get in my mouth, lol. at least I have been occupied with my projects so I,m not too depressed. that emigrating ticket to clearer skies is seriously tempting.

more pics soon Dan

Oh yeah I am still going strong. Have fully flocked my 200p and bought a lacerta microfocuser upgrade and RACI finder scope and Mark 3 Hyperion zoom lens since I last commented on your thread.

Found a few more messier objects too. Just waiting for the rain to go and the skies to clear then will have the scope out again.

Can't wait to see the binos when they are completely finished. Keep up the good work. The view through bins that size will be so worth it when you get first light!

Guest black eyed hexy

Good sunday bloody cloudy morning felix,

looks like wet wet again and I need to work on Hexy,s mount outside today ,gnash gnash !!

hey a noticed you got a Hyperion 8-24 how you finding it ? if you,ve had chance to use it yet ? heard they,re pretty good, can you say what ,s been viewed with it ?

Thank,s damp dan

It don't look like you are too far off connecting them to a lightening conductor and bringing them to life Dan.

They are going to be amazing.

I notice you have a kiln, are you making the mirrors as well?

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi baz ,

thanks for the reply , this project is proving to be a real challenge but am enjoying the success at making things so far. Of course the real test will be making the mirrors , well I,m up for that challenge as well, as you,ve seen I,m planning on melting/fusing mirror blanks up to 29 inch dia. when I get good enough blanks out of the kiln I have a grinding polishing machine which I made to work them into a optical parabola ,so yes I,m making all my own mirrors from now on ,hopefully good enough to sell on .

I eventually plan to make a lightweight portable bino with 36 inch mirrors. So I,m travelling an interesting journey.

My mechanical monster called Hexy is a personal desire just to see if I can make it all work , as I,m making everything on it =literally.

Hope you enjoy the unusual.

regards Dan

Hey Dan,

Yes the Hyperion zoom is great. Kim (Brantuk) put me onto it. I have viewed all 12 messier objects that I found this far with it. For the money it's great and has that added bonus of not switching eyepieces all the time. Obviously if I had the money I would get all separate televue EP's and would not be bothered about changing them because it would be a pleasure due to the amazing views!

I have also viewed, Saturn, Jupiter and mars and of course the moon and in my humble opinion it works fantastically on all. Highly recommended :)

Guest Steve

Hi Dan, that's quite some monster you've got growing there!

I'd second Felix on the Hyperion zoom. Kim put me on to it as well and although I've no experience of anything else, it seems a pretty good compromise and I'm not missing fumbling around for separate eye pieces. Maybe I will eventually, but I think it will take me a while to out grow it. I've used it on my C9.25 and my little 66mm WO refractor without any problems and excellent views. I think the only thing I might consider is to get a wide eye piece for solar observing as the C9.25 can't quite get a whole disc.

I see you are out beyond Houghton on the Hill. Are you far enough away from Leicester to get decent dark skies out there? I keep Google Earthing looking for any potential sites to observe from around the southern periphery of Leicester so I'd be interested to know what the viewing is like in that area.

Thanks

Steve

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi Dan, that's quite some monster you've got growing there!

Hi steve ,

you,re quite right in amateur term,s it certainly is a monster--it,s eating me alive and it,s still hungry !! --so am gonna feed it some glass pudding to bulge it,s belly a bit, I have messed around a lot with an old 12 inch reflector , but trying to put together a 635mm bino is just something else ! I,ve always been a bit of a dreamer really , but this one am gonna make real . after I,ve conquered that quest am going to pursue a 900mm lightweight binoscope , just to see my years out--

I,ve just managed to take some pics of the replacement of Hexy,s new mount which took place over the weekend.

will look a bit smarter when decorated

thanks for the zoom info I got me eye on one for a while now.

I actually live in south croxton not houghton way, but we go up to borough on the hill --it,s a great dark site there, your welcome to come anytime to see ,just drop me a message

regards for now Dan

That is a totaly bonkers build you have there, hat off to you for attempting such a project!!!!

Will you be having a "open night" so to speak once done, so people can come have a look, I would certainly love to have a squint through them!!

Keep up the good work!

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi Daz,

you,re quiet right ,it is a truly mad project ,but it look,s like I can make it all work as a successful binocular viewing machine-- believe or not but this whole project is going to cost me around £1500.00 all in , so for that sum I,ll have a 25 inch aperture x 2 ==giving me an equivalent light grasp of around 36 inches (40% is added using two eyes) and all in binocular vision mode . The difference between mono and bino viewing has to be experienced to be believable ==try using one eye with hand binos then two and you,ll see my point .

So I reckon I got myself a little viewing bargain ,--what say all of you.

I have no doubt whatsoever that I,ll finish it eventually, and it "will" be a seriously good optical performer , I,ve got a fire in my bones that can,t be extinguished .

As to the sharing part --the plan was to transfer Hexy to a purpose made trailer when it,s testing time is proved , this might still happen if I don,t get too excited about my next project ==a lightweight portable bino with 900mm mirrors --thats equivalent to a 50 inch mirror. I saw recently a 42 inch dob nearly finished and ask the cost of the mirror ? Around the £50.000 was the reply , " for just the mirror " mike lockwood did the optics . Jeeze man !! this sport is awesome !!

As to an open night == anyone who is brave enough ! your welcome . be prepared to land on yer pants though, like I did when first viewing through my twelve inch . I,m expecting a serious WOW ! + expletives when hexy shines .

Fear not I.ll be inviting all those who have travelled my way.

Kind regards and thank,s for the interest Hexy deserves at least that. keep a lookout from time to time.

Bonkers Dan

Now that is the most impressive picture yet Dan.

Looks incredible.

Cheers.

Guest black eyed hexy

Yeah pete .

really enjoyed taking that one ,It,s now all in bits again to fit the new mount and motor mechanism,s .just got the altitude motor to fit then the decor begins in earnest ,have painted the central column martian skies blue so pleased bout that, just the metal work to coat now in spite of the incessant rain ==were becoming a "waterworld"

I see you got an unusual 10" ota to work on --interesting piece that ! hope you manage to find a decent mount soon .

Being a mountie sure is fun. take care Damp Dan

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi eddy ,

thanks for looking , this aint for the fainthearted that,s for sure. I think it all comes down to how strong the desire is ,I,m hoping I don,t lose it.

more pics soon. dan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest black eyed hexy

Hello my starry friends,

Another leetle update on Hexy,s progress==I finally got the opportunity to uncover the bino and start the decor==the colour scheme is to be --black and blue on gold !

the gold is hammerite smooth and black hammerite for the pier .I painted the spitfire spline martian skies blue. the blue name is temporary as I plan to attach an embossed name of some quality

any colour on black looks nice

the tube segments were painted inside with black hammerite all 88 of them , with a mini roller--the wifes idea

looks nice at night too-----these pics are the pier /mount and tube cages only ,soon the scope will be complete again--black and blue on gold --hope you like it

The paint makes it look a lot smarter, Dan.

Less scrapheap challenge style.

Very nice.

Guest black eyed hexy

Pics of the centre column bolted back on to see the colour contrast,

soon Hexy will have a "band of gold" round two black fingers but working on the altitude mechanism at mo

goldfinger Dan

Edited by black eyed hexy