• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First light with 6" RC & NexStar 8 mount.

Clear sky for 2 hrs, set up the scope and clouds appeared from nowhere+rain! Anyway brought gear into the conservatory and watched 'Sky at Night' on TV. About 11.15pm looked outside and clear sky again! Set up gear and tried focusing the RC, this is done with 50mm and 2x 25mm spacers plus the focusing tube. The manual said 50mm if using a 1.25" diagonal but I found the 1x25mm worked well. Did a Sky Align on 3 stars (any 3 stars!) spot on goto but clouds again rolling in!! Managed to spy the Moon just above some distant trees and waited till it was clear of them and tried out my various ep's and was pleased with the pin sharp views I was getting. Only problem seemed to be a lack of contrast, but there was a lot of moisture in the air and it didn't really seem to get 'dark'!

I will make a dewshield today to help contrast and any stray light entering the tube. All in all really happy, it can only get better but then at some point I will be trying out my Canon 1000d which of course is what the scope is all about!!

Ron

I was out myself till gone 2am last night, no it doesn't really get gark this time of year does it. Still not a bad night, Ring Nebula, Saturn, the Double Cluster, M32, M11, M13, M92, the Double Double, Alberio and a few other doubles here and there, a better view than the clouds, even with some fairly full on Lunar Pollution later on.

Enjoy your new scope BTW

Looking forward to seeing some images Ron.

I was umming and arrring over the 8" for a while but opted for a larger refractor in the end.

Regards.

It's a smart looking combination of kit Ron.

I'm looking forward to your next report when you have a longer clear spell.

Cheers.

Nice one Ron, I was tempted to buy one but was not sure because of the size of the secondary mirror.

It was certainly bigger than I expected when I opened the box!! Made a dew shield now so I, (like everybody else!) am waiting to see some clear sky!! :(

Hi Ron.

Have you got any more pics of this scope from other angles.

It looks huge.

Cheers

Graham