• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M13

Mostlycloudy

Old M13 image from a few weeks ago, now with non-matching flats, as a result you may be able to spot the elusive dark nebula 'the dead greenfly'. Good luck.

M13 23 May 2020 New flats

• Like 4

Hi, hope you don't mind but I downloaded and wanted to see what 'the dead greenfly' was?

There is a large gradient extending from the lower right corner which makes processing difficult,

I have put it back here but still not sure what 'the dead greenfly' is??

large.M13checkFinish.jpg.2bd9cdbea0b7dfd61720b5120738085c.jpg

Cheers

Ron 

It moves around a little (wasn't attached to the glass) but mostly seems to be just to the side of HD150510 in the upper left. So you have noticed the gradient, its either the next thing to annoy me in the images or the magnificent glow of Loughborough. I will try flipping the light panel around and see if the gradient reverses. Just glad to get rid of the stripes.

Cheers

I solved the gradients I was getting by fitting a dew shield on the 150PDS to keep stray light from the neighbours security light hitting the scope!

Sounds like the gradient may be down to the kids tracing panel that is generating my flats, but i think the magnificent glow of Loughborough is still a possibility. I am protected from the security lights on that side by the 45 ft conifer trees, which is nice.

That why Wymeswold is so good, nice open space. It will be good to get out again.

Cheers

Since you already have IRIS you could use that to get rid of the gradient. It has a couple of excellent gradient removal tools that completely removes the non-linear gradients caused by light pollution in my images.

I will try that later, the image processing software seems a little daunting when you are first faced with it. Just need a good week or two of rain to get to grips with it, someone should buy something expensive that guarantees rain.