• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Good Evening

Kobiyoshimaru

Hi everyone.

I’ve recently been recommended to this forum by a close friend who like I is interested in stargazing. I’ve always been interested in astronomy and have always watched any space related tv show or film. However, I’ve never got out and stargazed as much as I would have liked but want to put that right.

I’m a novice and would appreciate any advice and words of wisdom. 

Joe

Hi Joe and welcome to EMS 🙂

If you don't yet have any equipment then the best advice I can offer is to join us at a meeting and get a look through a few scopes before you buy anything. The gear isn't cheap and you'll save a lot by getting some idea of what you want to do before blowing your hard earned dosh. 🙂

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum, do you have any astro kit? Binoculars are a good way to start...🙂

Hi Joe, a warm welcome to the forum.

I would second Ron's advice, a pair of binoculars will get you into the night sky without splashing out too much money and ease you into learning your way round. In fact some objects are best viewed in binoculars and it's surprising what you can see with them. I wouldn't go any larger than 10X50 for hand held, in fact my favorite pair are 8X40's, these are not difficult to hold still and not too taxing on the arms.

A free program/app called Stellarium is really useful for getting to know the night sky, there are a good number out there, some excellent, some pants.

Feel free to ask away on any questions you might have, someone will help out.

Make yourself at home and enjoy your time here.

Hi Joe, welcome aboard. You'll find lots of useful info in the begginers thread. Enjoy the forum.

Welcome to EMS Joe.

I'm intrigued by your name : does it have a Japanese connection ?

It sounds connected to Sumo, and i'm rather a Sumo fan myself....

Thanks for the warm welcome.
I’ve got a celestron powerseeker 70az refractor telescope which I received as a gift. Although I’ve only really used it to look at the moon so far. Any guidance on how to look at other celestial objects would be appreciated. 

On 27/05/2020 at 11:26, Bino-viewer said:

Welcome to EMS Joe.

I'm intrigued by your name : does it have a Japanese connection ?

It sounds connected to Sumo, and i'm rather a Sumo fan myself....

Hey my name is linked to the Star Trek tv series. The Kabayashimaru is a test the characters have to take to join star fleet. I was trying to come up with an internet handle a little while ago and thought of that...however at the time I spelt the name differently and then just stuck with it.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Kobiyoshimaru said:

Hey my name is linked to the Star Trek tv series. The Kabayashimaru is a test the characters have to take to join star fleet. I was trying to come up with an internet handle a little while ago and thought of that...however at the time I spelt the name differently and then just stuck with it.

I knew that.

Anyway welcome to the group. 

Look forward to seeing you at one of our meetings. 😊

.....I perhaps should have known that too.

And i am a bit of a Trekkie....😮

You disappoint me @Bino-viewer 😉😆😆

3 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

.....I perhaps should have known that too.

And i am a bit of a Trekkie....😮

• Haha 1