• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sadr and the Gamma Cygni Nebula in Ha

Derbyshire Dave

Nice image Dave. The Astrobin image actually appears to have a lower resolution (1824 x 1217) than the Flickr image (2400 x 1601).

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Clive said:

Nice image Dave. The Astrobin image actually appears to have a lower resolution (1824 x 1217) than the Flickr image (2400 x 1601).

Thanks Clive. When I click on the Astrobin Technical Card, it does say (2400 x 1601), how did you get the 1824 x 1217 ? It does really make me think though. I had cut down the original TIFF image from 5479 x 3655 to post on Flickr. I should obviously have posted the higher resolution image, as a jpg onto Astrobin (they don't allow you to upload TIFFs on the Free Version)

You have to give it another click or 2 to get full resx or the "full res" tab in the upper RHS

try uploading as a .png Dave.

• Thanks 1

@Dave I downloaded the maximum resolution images I could get, the Astrobin JPG was only 1824 x 1217 but the Flickr JPG was 2400 x 1601.

@Steve which site are you referring to?

• Thanks 1

Astrobin

Even if you upload as a png it will report it as a jpeg on here.

When I post mine I go the full res image on astrobin and right click the "copy image location" and paste that into "insert other media " as "insert image from URL"

but it still requires clicking through to the full res image.

Edited by Ibbo
  • Thanks 1

When I click on the Astrobin thumbnail it takes me to the image, if I click it again it takes me to the technical card. I don't see any 'full res' tab in either. Am I doing something wrong?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Clive said:

When I click on the Astrobin thumbnail it takes me to the image, if I click it again it takes me to the technical card. I don't see any 'full res' tab in either. Am I doing something wrong?

Bear with me Clive, I haven't done this before, that was part of the reason for doing it - to try it out..

If I click in the thumbnail (I'm using Firefox), I get a screeen with two options at the top right, first is "Full Resolution" second is "Technical Card". I haven't immediately got a "5479 x 3655" to upload, as I was a "silly billy" and downsized and stupidly didn't save the original.

We're away for in the morning for a few days, but next week I'll have a good play, try uploading a larger version as a png as Steve says, and see the how that works. I'll maybe do that as a post, and let you know. Appreciate your interest and help, that's how we all learn.

No, there's no 'full resolution' button, either on IE11, Edge or Chrome and the same on my phone.  Clicking on the thumbnail takes me straight to the 'maximum resolution' image and I just have the technical card button.  Clicking on that takes you back to that, but there's still no full resolution button, I need to click on the image to get back to the 'maximum resolution' image.

Hmmm, Steve's pic is exactly how I see it on Firefox, but on Edge and Internet Explorer,  I just get the Technical Card too..

Not sure how to deal with that. Have you had any issues with your post Steve? In astrobin, what I did was click on the image, above that there is a "Share" button. Clicked on that, and chose "Forums" and "Full" resolution. Is that what you do?

I'm a FF user as well Dave, so it maybe we get lucky with FF.

I post mine as in the post 7 up from here

49 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

I'm a FF user as well Dave, so it maybe we get lucky with FF.

I post mine as in the post 7 up from here

My apologies Steve, I need to try that...