• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

CCD cameras

Jonny14716

Hi guys

I have 2 CCD OSC cameras. I have not had any imaging equipment for a couple of years now, I currently own a Nexstar 9.25 GPS and I would like to move the 2 cameras on. Is there a way that I could effectively test the operation of the cameras before I offer them up for sale? I have tried some short exposures through the SCT but the images were not suitable for stacking so I’m struggling to confirm the correct operation of the cameras. I do not want to offer them for sale without confirming they are fully working. The 2 cameras are:

ATIK 314e OSC

QHY8L OSC

Thanks in advance for any help offered. 

Edited by Jonny14716

I test my atik in daylight sometimes by stopping down the apeture of the scope and turning down the exposure to its minimum 0.001 ish. I then focus on a distant object. That usually suffices. With my ed80 I use the dust cap with the solar cap open so the 9.25 will probably need something making up.

That seems like a good idea. I may have to try to knock up a corrector cover with a smaller aperture and give that a try. Thank you for that