• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Lammergeier from Howden Moor

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doc

• Derbyshire Dave

• Ibbo

• RonC

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Met Dave today and had walk to Back Tor, we had to wait about an hour before the bird was picked up a long way away and we watched it for a while being mobbed by crows and a buzzard. It started drifti

One thing I should mention is the sheer size. We first saw it about a mile or more away, it still looked large. It was being mobbed by small birds - apparantly. The 'small birds' turned out to be buzz

AND!!!!!!! People were suggesting we use my pup Bertie as bait! EEEEEEEEEEEK!

Derbyshire Dave

I certainly did have a good time Mick, absolutely stunning. A hugely memorable day, thanks for getting me to the right spot! Brilliant of you to catch it 'on film'

On back tor there must have been 12 people, parked around the roads near cut throat bridge were loads of cars, the laybys were full. We met at least 10 people walking up towards back tor so I think quite a few. Have you been yet Steve?

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

On back tor there must have been 12 people, parked around the roads near cut throat bridge were loads of cars, the laybys were full. We met at least 10 people walking up towards back tor so I think quite a few. Have you been yet Steve?

No i haven't the last report I heard was it had not returned to the roost because of disturbance.

Derbyshire Dave

One thing I should mention is the sheer size. We first saw it about a mile or more away, it still looked large. It was being mobbed by small birds - apparantly. The 'small birds' turned out to be buzzards, they looked tiny 😮

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

No i haven't the last report I heard was it had not returned to the roost because of disturbance.

It has been disturbed numerous times and often goes missing after it's been disturbed for one night, it must have another roost site it visits but it's always came back the following night.

Thing is it's so big you don't need to get close to the roost, utter idiots they really are.

It's a 2 year old immature youngster from a breeding program in the Pyrennes on the French and Spanish border. It's been spotted in France, Belguim, Holland, Channel Islands, Northamptonshire and finally Derbyshire. It's been here about 3 weeks now so should be at home. 

• Like 1