• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sky-Watcher 200P

Paul Tomo

I’ve got the chance of buying a second hand 200P the chap said he’s had it a few years and it’s no longer being used and it’s almost the last of 

his setup, he’s selling up, It’s not the Explorer and I’m not sure if it’s the skyline. What should I be looking for apart from the usual light marks that you would find on a older scope, I’m sure I wouldn’t won’t to be seeing dints and deep scuff marks. 

The primary morrow should be checked for any abnormal marks, but any advice from the more experienced will be most grateful but also is it worth buying has a new explorer is only about £300 if I’m not mistaken.

I sold my black 200p for £125 that was good condition And fully modded , flocked 12v fan , handle and is about average some of the older  blue models go for about £100 all depends on condition , mirror condition is main concern all depends on how it’s been looked after And stored .

Just make sure you really check it Paul..

Edited by RonC

To be honest Ron I’m not sure how to check it unless it’s something obvious, I’ve just asked the chap to send more pics for me to look at so I’ll have a slightly better idea of the model but the chap says he’s had it from new and it’s been stored and well looked after.

I’ve seen a few more pics and it looks in very good condition but on a photo looking at the primary mirror it looks like it collected some dust, how difficult would it be to clean the mirror and re-set the mirror.

Not a problem if it's just dust and aligning the mirror (collimation) isn't as daunting as it seems online!

Don't worry too much about the dust, unless you can grow spuds in it, it doesn't really make much difference.

Check the focuser, there should be no play in it side to side, check it feels smooth and doesn't bind anywhere. Have a look at the screw heads on the rear cell and see if they have been chewed up, that's not a good sign. Likewise the three collimation screws on the spider, they should look nice and tidy. 

Ask to look through it at a distant object such as brickwork or a TV aerial, as these has vertical and horizontal lines, it can show up optical defects as they don't look square. 

To be fair the vast majority of scopes are well looked after and in good nick, but there are some unscrupulous folks about.

How far away is it?

I’ve just arrived back home after my trip to Stockport this morning and I’m very pleased with the Skywatcher 200P that I’ve bought plus the chap gave me a few bits and pieces to go with the scope. The mirrors could do with a clean but there not as bad has I thought. I will try the scope tonight and see how things are and I will let you know how I get on, thanks for your advice...Paul 

12 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Don't worry too much about the dust, unless you can grow spuds in it, it doesn't really make much difference.

Check the focuser, there should be no play in it side to side, check it feels smooth and doesn't bind anywhere. Have a look at the screw heads on the rear cell and see if they have been chewed up, that's not a good sign. Likewise the three collimation screws on the spider, they should look nice and tidy. 

Ask to look through it at a distant object such as brickwork or a TV aerial, as these has vertical and horizontal lines, it can show up optical defects as they don't look square. 

To be fair the vast majority of scopes are well looked after and in good nick, but there are some unscrupulous folks about.

How far away is it?

Thanks Martin, I checked the screws and no signs of any screwdriver marks and the 3 collimation screws look like they’re in great condition to although he did collimation the last time he used it, and it’s not been used for some time he said.

He did seem a very genuine chap and very helpful at showing me around the scope. Thanks...Paul 

• Like 3

I will set the scope up tonight just to see if all is ok i will check the collimation and also i will see if the dust that's on the mirror show's through the viewfinder and then i will know if the mirrors need cleaning. The chap has gave me a Telrad reflex sight so i've changed the batteries and it looks like its working but just needs setting up i just need some double sided sticky tape so i can connect it to the scope and then give it a try.

If you have any advice on setting up then please feel free to add anything.