• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Another puzzle - scopes this time. :-)

Cazz

Well it's official, there's no going back now. As we are both getting more involved with this hobby, and sharing one scope is quite boring for the other person when waiting, or is that just me? We have decided we need another one as an early Christmas present. :)

Our thinking so far is, to get a reflector because we already have a descent refractor, portability is a must as we don't have a back garden, and there are just too many street lights and traffic out the front. Easy storage is also essential as we live in a small terrace new build starter home type thing, without storage!!! The other limiting factor is the budget, we have about £150 in total to get started, with accessories going on the wish list, Christmas list and Birthday list. One of us has a significant Birthday early next year, PS it's not me. ;)

So I know you like my puzzles, :D what can you recommend fits the bill?

Our thoughts so far are the Skywatcher Heritage 130p and, ??????????

Look up a SW 150PDS, very light, medium size and has a lot more light gathering than the 130, great to use on a SW EQ3-2 mount. That's what I used for a long time and sucessfully!

Ron

I agree with Ron, a 150mm reflector would meet all your requirements and is capable of showing you some really interesting stuff. A Skywatcher is excellent, but watch out for other cheap and nasty makes that may not be such good value.

You can get a new 150 Skywatcher just within your budget, but you may find an even better bargain secondhand with eyepieces and accessories thrown in, so search ebay and astrobuysell.

When you find something you can always post back here and we can have a look and advise further.

A 150mm will be a vast improvement on your 60mm refractor, so the two of you might be fighting over it ;) .

Good luck.

Cheers guys, have you a link for the SW 150 with in our budget please? The ones I've seen aren't in agreement with our bank balance, it says we've too many hobbies or vehicles lol.

I googled "Skywatcher 150" and it came up with lots.

One caught my eye at £145 new but others were £189 or more.

There are various models but the basic one would be fine.

You can pay more, if you want the dual speed focusser or other accessories with it or a better mount.

But, since you are on a budget, the basic model would do the job.

This one says £145 for a 150, but the link takes you to a 130. http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?sugexp=chrome,mod%3D17&q=skywatcher+150&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3185144384041216019&sa=X&ei=utQBUPS6K4bB0QXToY2YBw&ved=0CGgQ8wIwAA

The 130P is £40 more, I've read somewhere that parabolic is worth while, how does a 130P compare to a 150 non P, if such a thing exists?

That link takes me straight to the 150 ??

The Skywatcher is one of the best you will get for the money and is definitely superior to the 130. It has 33% more light grasp and weighs very little more than the 130. I think you will be far more satisfied with the 150. Will be very easy to move around and transport by car.

Compared to your 60mm it has 6.25 x the light grasp, so will show you substantially fainter objects. It would give you far superior views of all types of objects.

Shop around a bit you may find other bargain packages.

If you click the £145 price link to the shop, it's for the 130, obviously confused, I understand why, lol.

Many thanks for the pointers, we will have a good look around and avoid the rubbish out there.

If anyone spots a 150 in our budget of £150, could you give me a shout please. :)

Yes you are right, £145 is the 130. Bit of a swizz there.

If you click "all 9" you will find a 150p for £185.

Keep looking, there will be others an possibly s/h bargains.

I would suggest you keep your eye open for one with a "P" at the end, ie 150P. This has a parabolic mirror, which is better than a spherical mirror. It brings the light to a better and clearer focus than a spherical one will.

It will make the viewing a bit more enjoyable, not that there is anything wrong with a spherical one, it's just that step better.

That's a good link Tom, provided you could collect it! It is exactly the scope and mount I meant!!

Yup - good link Tom and a very realistic reserve price. My first scope was one of these (but the blue tube model) and it went for exactly £180 at two years old. The newer black/white livery model under a year old is easily worth circa £200 (should be excellent condition). :)

if your looking for a portable easy storage scope i would say the skywatcher 130p autotrak is a real contender, it`s the one in my avitar and was my first scope, it`s only 650mm long and has a light mount which is so easy to move around and store, i live in a fairly light polluted area but i had some lovely views with it, only sold it as aperture fever took hold.

the autotrak also has a mounted mount so tracking the objects is easy to do, my wife used it more than me sometimes it was so easy to handle.

it cost me somewhere around £180 new but i sold it for £130 boxed and as new condition, so bargains can be found.

the comments above about the 150 scope should be considered as more aperature and miror size do make a differance, and maybe you could find one within your budget second hand, but don`t disregard the 130p, it`s a very capable setup.

Cheers everyone. Unfortunately we can't stretch to the 150p on the EQ, but a second hand 150p Dob is possibly possible. I know it's only a bit more, but unfortunately £150 is our pushed upper limit, at least for a few years until the campervan, sorry mobile observatory is paid for. Why don't we choose a cheaper interest or one that will fit under the bed? PS the camper is not being sold, she's our pride and joy and a big part of our family. ;)

Shame this is so far away - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skyliner-150-6-Parabolic-Dobsonian-telescope-/140789234742?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item20c7b13c36#ht_978wt_1270

Or this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skywatcher-Skyliner-200p-Classic-Dobsonian-8-/251104922589?_trksid=p4340.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D555001%26algo%3DPW.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29%26meid%3D625028268427357708%26pid%3D100009%26prg%3D1013%26rk%3D2%26#ht_500wt_1287

This one is possible, but I think it looks better on the original Dob mount - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skywatchers-130P-Telescope-Excellent-Condition-/310412926478?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item48460d5e0e#ht_500wt_1287

Which ever we choose will have to be stored in the sitting room or the van, so it will need to look inconspicuous or be a feature, probably more a feature or coat stand lol. :o

Hi Cazz, don't know if your'e interested but there is a SW 150PL for sale on Stargazers Lounge (page4 of for sale) just the OTA for £100 inc ep's and a Barlow.Lives in Staffs and will deliver 50 miles! Just need a s/h mount then!

Cheers

Ron

Thanks Ron, I've had a look and I can't find the for sale section there. Am I being thick or just stupid? lol

Click on any sale item on the RHS of the screen, then go to the top and select 'For Sale', should then list them all, it's on page 4!

Ron

Edited by Ron Clarke

I also can't see the for sales at the side you mention, so I've dug deeper and I need 50 posts to view the for sales, I don't have that many yet. I'd best get waffling about something, lol.

That SW 150P OTA is on Astro Buy & Sell from Chesterfield, advert no 58579, good luck

Ron

That SW 150P OTA is on Astro Buy & Sell from Chesterfield, advert no 58579, good luck

Ron

Thanks for that, I've found it. We're pondering which type of mount would suit us best, and if 750mm would be too big to sit on the coffee table, or whether the 130p flexi would look better, as most of it's time will be spent just being looked at and being dusted, lol. Both are small enough to take camping with all the stuff and old dog.

Mocking up, visualisation and measuring now in progress, I'm pleased we haven't a bigger budget, can you imagine the complications then? lol.