• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

When to buy?

Darren Ball

Hi all,

I'm new to these waters, and am looking for a bit of advise if I may?

I'm looking at purchasing a new mount.  The one that I'm looking at (that is in stock at the moment) is slightly overpriced compared to other online retailers who are out of stock for the same model.

So, do I buy the one that's available now at the slightly higher price, or wait until new stock arrives from China in November/December/2021? 

However, if I wait, because of everything else that's going on in the world, am I running the risk of having to buy at a higher price than now anyway?

I know that no-one can predict the future, but was just wondering what your thoughts were?

Cheers,

Darren

Edited by Darren Ball
Clarity

if you wait till November/December you will miss out getting everything sorted and working etc during september/october, nights are drawing in.  I suppose it depends on how big the price difference is.  You could try contacting the supplier and telling them their price is higher and you are ready to order, they might come back with a lower price?

It will be a gamble that when the others get stock in their price may well ride too.

What mount are you looking at and what retailer, and do they actually have physical stock , ring and enquire

1 hour ago, Sheila said:

if you wait till November/December you will miss out getting everything sorted and working etc during september/october, nights are drawing in.  I suppose it depends on how big the price difference is.  You could try contacting the supplier and telling them their price is higher and you are ready to order, they might come back with a lower price?

It will be a gamble that when the others get stock in their price may well ride too.

I can't imagine that they'd lower the price, as I suspect that the price is a bit higher because of the low stocks everywhere.  It's £125 difference, so not massive, but when the belt is tight....

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

What mount are you looking at and what retailer, and do they actually have physical stock , ring and enquire

Just called and they do have physical stock, so just got to get approval from the missus  😁

What mount is it and shop ?best of luck winning the financial director round 😂😂

Edited by Bottletopburly

23 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

What mount is it and shop ?best of luck winning the financial director round 😂😂

EQ6-R from the Widescreen Centre.  Just had the DPD Tracking Number emailed me. 

So tomorrow - in spite of not getting an objection - I expect a grilling from the gaffer when a big box turns up on the doorstep!  If you're of the religious persuasion.... pray for me.

And I apologise now for creating even more clouds.

Get used to hearing WHAT HAVE YOU ORDERED NOW  just hope she never misheard you say how much it was 😂😂 

let’s  all say a prayer for Darren tonight  Amen .

Edited by Bottletopburly

3 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

And the next (obvious) question is......

Whats going on the EQ6-R scopewise....?? 🙂

SW 80ED.  I got the EQ6 just in case I accidentally order something bigger  👼