• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Greetings from Mickleover

Guest Gav77

Guest Gav77

Hi folks,

I've known about this group for a few months now but only just got round to signing up! I rekindled my astro career last October after looking at Jupiter and M31 through my mate's shiny new scope after which I was instantly hooked again. I was keen in my teens (34 now) but uni life put paid to my stargazing aspirations for about 15 years! I've recently equipped myself with a 200P dob, Meade HD-60 EPs and a Telrad and have clocked up around 35 Messiers so far.

I use a couple of fields (publicly accessible) a few mins drive from my house for observing but they're pretty waterlogged at the moment so it's not the most comfortable experience right now (hasn't stopped me when we get the odd clear patch though!). I could do with somewhere with firmer ground where I can get the car a bit closer - anyone know of anywhere in the Derby West area?

Looking forward to checking out the discussions and meeting up with some of you at the Belper site if we ever see the sky again - will keep an eye on the announcements!

Cheers

Gav

Hi Gav and welcome to EMS. If you are going to Belper this Friday I'll see you then.

Dave

Hi Gavin, welcome to EMS.

We are having a meeting at the Belper Cricket Club, this coming Friday night. You are very welcome to join us and say hello. Your first visit is free, to see if it suits you, after that the subscriptions are £20 a year, this gives you access to two dark sites one at Belper the other at Sawley.

The address for our Belper dark site is as follows:

The Packhorse Ground

Sandyford Lane

Alderwasley

Belper

Derbyshire

DE56 2DP.

If you get stuck give me a ring on 07970 500302

In the meantime, enjoy the forum.

P.S. If you would like a hot drink, bring a mug and a Quid.

Martyn.

Guest Gav77

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the speedy welcomes! Will try and make it to Belper cricket ground on friday - my wife is actually expecting our 2nd child that very day which gives me a 95% chance that I'll be able to attend if the stats about babies being born on their due dates are to be believed! Not sure what the weather will have to say about that put I'll keep the old fingers crossed!

Gav

You can just about get a phone signal up there, she could always give you a call if she feels baby is on the way?

;)

Welcome to the forums! :D

If the baby does arrive, suggest that you should let the wife and baby rest after their big day... Whilst you come to Belper! ;)