• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Couple of DSI IIs on the bay

Guest Kheldar

Saw these and was going to post about them myself. Are they better than a 350D that's been modded? Not sure as I want to go spending any more at the minute mind, but never say never lol

Guest Kheldar

Saw these and was going to post about them myself. Are they better than a 350D that's been modded? Not sure as I want to go spending any more at the minute mind, but never say never lol

Horses for courses I'm afraid! If money were no object then it's CCD every time.

I would propose that these two are a cheap way to have a go at CCD, bearing in mind the fact that the sensor is MUCH smaller than a DSLR.

Red dwalf posted some images a while back that he took with a DSI II mono, but you'll have to go find his thread.

I had a DSI IIc for a few years and it was OK. It got me into CCD. The problem with these cameras is that they are not cooled. Hence in summer they got relegated to guiding duty.

Guest Kheldar

I had a DSI IIc for a few years and it was OK. It got me into CCD. The problem with these cameras is that they are not cooled. Hence in summer they got relegated to guiding duty.

True that!

There is a fan you can buy which clips onto the cameras. Of course isn't going to be as good as a dedicated cooled solution, but it's got to help a little in the summer :)

Edited by Kheldar

noticed someone selling a dsi 3 mono on e bay at the moment, they have a bigger ccd chip 2/3".

i would also add that the meade filters that you get with the mono version are not the best, i sold them on advice from RobH and bought some astonomik ones instead, they do make a differance, sharper stars without bloting when using on long exposures,

also the mono version make good guide cameras if you want to upgrade later.