• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M33

RonC

Not very happy with this M33, I tried some 300s exposures with the Tri Band filter. Not happy with the focus 

and more noise than I thought there would be. kept the Gain at 400 perhaps i should have raised that?

Anyway 18 x 300s with the usual kit. Any comments welcome...

large.M33F031120FinishSmall.jpg.1e3218c87b8298980dfb10deaa3c6f26.jpg

At least you have an image Ron. 👍

Very dark background perhaps over processed trying to kill the noise.

I would have thought increasing the gain would have an associated and compound increase in noise.

If anything I would decrease the gain.

What other camera controls do you have on that camera.

Just gain and exposure in APT, 400 is unity Gain and normslly I don't change it!

Doing some tests tonight on the Wizard Nebula, I'll let you know how I get on...

Ron

I'm no expert at these types of shot, indeed I am not even a beginner. I like this shot. I agree, though, that gain has a tendency to introduce noise. I don't know whether there is a similar control in Photoshop but in GIMP, you can simulate a longer exposure. I find it quite useful in my (albeit limited) deep sky and constellation shots.

May be worth looking on Astro bin Ron for images with that sensor /camera telescope combo to see what their settings were used